Who's got runners?

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Who's got runners?

Postby mehile » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Since it'll be months still before my colts ready to start, who has horses running/in training? Always like having someone to root for.

madelyn

Re: Who's got runners?

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:39 am

I have three starters in my barn at the moment. Miss Pinkerton is in a bit tough tomorrow in the 3rd race at Indiana Grand. I'm hunting for another start for Queen Maxine who has come off her four month layoff a Whole New Horse! My baby, Stormy Memo, has got over the cough that hit her the day of her first start, and now is past the fever, off feed, sore tummy flu that has been running thru everywhere. Looking for another race...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 am

My trainer was telling me just a few days ago there's a virus going around, praying he doesnt pick it up. I'm sorry your girl had to miss her first start but glad it wasn't something more serious. Here's hoping Miss Pinkerton has a safe and winning trip.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Oh Stormy Memo Started... started coughing in the paddock with the saddle on. She ran a big race for being not at her best - made a nice tactical move on the back stretch and was only beat 8 lengths or so in MSW when she was coughing her way down the lane. It really was Too Late to Scratch. She then got over the snots coughs and got the fever no appetite sore tummy one. She was back in training today bucking and carrying on like a deprived diva. I'll probably send her 5/8 breeze Saturday to put some oomph in Eddie at Bat my goofy lazy Paynter colt that GALLOPED a half on Saturday in 53 and change. Refused to breeze. Tried to reach back and play with the bat, rider, etc. Anyhow Eddie can chase her big pretty ass.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:25 am

I ended up racing Stormy Memo the 5/8 on Sunday on the grass at Belterra. The #11 horse, she got a horribly wide trip, was in the front pack, saw the lead briefly, and held on for third. It was maiden special weight and she was beat by Wesley Ward in 1st and the Sheikh's horse in 2nd. Pretty good for her 2nd start.

Queen Maxine on Saturday went 5f on the grass which is really a bit short for her - came from the back of the pack to close for 2nd. She is turning out to be a nice filly.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Hop she gets healthy and can roll Madelyn. Do you still have that big guy who won not too long ago?
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Hop she gets healthy and can roll Madelyn. Do you still have that big guy who won not too long ago?
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:12 am

Grosco has headed up to his owner at Laurel to possibly run once more before beginning life as a track pony for the 6'3" very big fellow that is the assistant there and wants to pony their horses.

At present I have just 6 - Miss Pinkerton, Queen Maxine and My Cinnamon Girl are all three year olds with the latter being only just saddle broke in April of this year and looking for a first start in the next 8 weeks or so. The other three are two year olds - Stormy Memo, Belgian Candy (one more breeze from the gate with a pony and then start) and Eddie At Bat who needs a few more breezes and a gate card.

Queen Maxine, Miss Pinkerton and Stormy Memo are all knocking on the door and I expect a win for all three before the year is out.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:01 am

We are all rooting on "Belle" :o
Such a small world indeed :D best of luck with her Madelyn.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:45 am

Belgian Candy will pony to the gate tomorrow for a two minute lick. We've been chasing the MCL 16K 6f on the dirt at Indiana - it came back again on the overnight and enters today for Wednesday.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:06 pm

You might be waiting until next year, surely you know that you're a few months shy of people wanting to run two yr old's for that little? Maybe after Turfway starts :lol:

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:38 pm

The owner won't wait. If she has not started by Nov 1 he is sending her to the scrap heap.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Well I hope she lands in a good home then. It wouldn't be good to upset your only client.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 am

He is certainly not my only client that is kind of insulting. He is not upset. He has never done babies before and this will be his last time. In all fairness this filly started out so far behind the 8-ball it was ridiculous. She was weaned at three months so was stunted. She was wormy and horribly crooked behind and nothing done about that at all so she has curbs on both hocks formed before we got her. It took a lot of time and intensive care to get her straightened up, healthy and on the right path. Her knees did not close until July-August. She looks great now and has really only had "baby" stuff - one tendon for a few weeks, on and off shins, etc. But she is tall and very lanky and still really a juvenile. He just wants one or two starts and then off for the winter. If we don't get the starts he doesn't want to go on. It's a business decision.

These days no one seems to be able to stand the cost of training babies. They all want to buy them cheap after someone else has dumped in the big money. It results in a shortage of horses. The market has to winnow down to only the ones "worth" training because it costs So Much to train, which is why so many babies just don't sell. It is probably, well no doubt it IS, cheaper to claim a running two year old with some pedigree and promise for $25-30K than it is to buy a baby and get it to that same level.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:13 am

She was not weaned at three months.
Anyway, early weaning does not lead to stunted growth and there are lots of reasons why, in thoroughbreds, this may be necessary. But this isn't a thread to discuss knowledge on that subject. Suffice it to say that having raised a few quality (BC class) horses on that farm, I still trust them.

Yes you are right she looks great, I was happy to see pictures :D

The bottom line is that perhaps your choice of verbiage is rather dismissive. I'm very well aware of what his intentions were/are.