I Did The Math

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

perryT200
Weanling

I Did The Math

Postby perryT200 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:22 am

Got my filly working. Going to keep her in the country until it freezes then probably move her to Fanduel (Fairmount Park),

Bred an English Channel mare to Notional. English Channel progeny are famous for not running at 2, although there is one this year of the thirty + that has made some nice money of the '19 crop.

Notional only sired 13 in 2019 (that the registry shows), 6 of them were starters and 5 made decent money this year as two year olds. That's 47%. Better odds than normal. The whole cross is based on Indian Charlie and some Smart Strike mares.

https://www.pedigreequery.com/i+did+the+math

I had her broke to a cart first by the boys at the Du Quoin State Fairgrounds. Just walk , trot and canter but it got her used to the tack and bit. The washing stall, the shed row, all the barn stuff. She is galloping now under a rider.

Because of some donated breeding or auction from Notional, I paid the registration for the Iowa futurity and the three yr old filly stakes. Born in IL I paid for the 2 yr stakes here.

I had the mare bred in IN and planned to race there, but finally the Gov turned the IL race tracks in Racinos. I won't get all the IL program money, but a nice chunk.

But really, if you know anything about thoroughbred races horses I'd be better off financially if she stepped in a hole and broke a leg tomorrow.

MaresRest
Suckling

Re: I Did The Math

Postby MaresRest » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:24 am

Not the conclusion I was expecting from your buildup!
-----
Mares' Rest is a retirement facility for Thoroughbred broodmares. We're currently seeking 501(c)(3) certification.
This Pedigree Online account is monitored by Scot Gillies.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:03 pm

Alas a broken pocket book is better than a broken heart. Idea is to back off before the fracture of either... I like the idea of breaking to harness...
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

perryT200
Weanling

Postby perryT200 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Hopefully this works, but I am not to confident.

I got lucky, my filly isn't crazy. I know the mare and that she would make a good mother. I told the harness guys that mine would lead, you could pick all it's feet up, it would go into a stall and you could tie it to the wall.

My acquaintance had two, both of them are nuts and he is at least a month behind me on the training schedule. (but since he probably won't try and race at 2, I guess it doesn't matter) When we dropped them off they unloaded his two first. Had to back up to the barn so they couldn't escape and herd them into the stalls. I really thought my guy was going to back out. We moved over to his stalls, he snapped a lead on her and with just a little coaxing she stepped off the stock trailer and lead into the stall. Within 3 days she was on the half mile practice track and they've had her out on the mile.

This is the only video i have of her under harness.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... MfHqiVyJ7X

About a month later when she was on the track with another horse or two the harness guy told me he had done all he could do. She wanted to run and neither of us wanted him to gallop her in harness. Some of the other guys kinda laughed when I started her like this, but my acquaintance started both of his under harness after I moved mine on to gallop and his crazy ones aren't progressing as well.

Also I kinda liked this. The thoroughbred guys don't tie their horses like this for tack or shower stall, tie 'em to the wall for tack and shank for the shower stall. I know she broke one of these, but my harness guy said she was better behaved than some of his own.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... zESkOSI4hE

This is her under saddle more than a month ago being broken. I'd say that job is done, but keeping her there is a lot cheaper than sending her to the track now and I'll want to get her knees x-rayed at some point to make sure she can take track work.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... UF3pLg_jrD

They shod the front feet and as soon as she got used to the nails going, it wasn't any big deal. My acquaintances they will have to use a little tranq because one of them you can't pick up it's back feet.

perryT200
Weanling

Postby perryT200 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:11 pm