Wordplay in a route race

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Wordplay in a route race

Postby henthorn » Sat May 05, 2007 7:05 pm

Wordplay is entered for a mile on the dirt at Prairie Meadows Racetrack on Tuesday, May 8th (my husband's birthday) in a state-bred maiden special weight race for fillies and mares 3 +up. She's the 8:5 favorite in a field of seven, and it is scheduled at 5:35pm CDT, 6th race, P#5. Her usual rider Alex Birzer is aboard. We expect her to be a distance runner, so her first race at 5 1/2 furlongs was just a test. She should be fit enough, and we hope she will break my trainer's losing streak, if he doesn't sooner. :wink:
Rocking H

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat May 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Well, the best of luck with her.

emmad
Maiden Special Weight

Postby emmad » Sun May 06, 2007 1:00 am

Good Luck. Hopefully a nice birthday present :)

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun May 06, 2007 8:46 am

Well on the tote she seems to be a hot favourite, I do hope that, that won,t become a burden.
Good luck

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sun May 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Ben, I don't think the "favorites jinx" is too strong at Prairie Meadows for Iowa-breds. This isn't worldwide news like betting on the Derby! :wink:
Rocking H

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Wed May 09, 2007 4:06 am

I hadn't gotten a close look at Wordplay or photos in about nine months. She sure is a beautiful girl! :o She hasn't changed much since the avatar photo last summer. She's a mottled silvery-gray with fairly light gray mane and a long white tail.

The track was in good condition, and all seven girls raced. She got a good start and stalked in about 2nd to 3rd position most of the way around behind the pacesetters. She looked comfortable and relaxed about halfway into the race, but then didn't have much left for the conclusion. She tired to fourth, and the leading pair drew further ahead. She officially was nineteen lengths behind, and the field covered sixty-five lengths. ( I can't believe they counted that far back! :o )

Thankfully the Iowa-bred purses were enough that a fourth place finish will cover her expenses this month. The jockey felt she was not able to relax well for him, and was not certain if she liked the distance. :? The trainer and I are most concerned that her old ligament trouble is bothering her again. Time will tell.
Rocking H

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed May 09, 2007 6:06 am

I saw the chart, Henthorn, and wondered what happened. Here's hoping she just ran out of gas. Better luck next time.

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed May 09, 2007 11:48 am

I think you,ll starting for wondering and putting up at least a dozen questions.
Succes with it in the near future, and maybe you,re hitting the right button.