Wordplay tries again July 2nd

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Wordplay tries again July 2nd

Postby henthorn » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:53 am

Prairie Meadows' TB meeting ends on the fourth of July, and we get one last chance for a maiden win this Monday July 2nd in the evening. A mixed breeds season will follow, but with fewer TB races and lower purses. But since Wordplay is a state-bred in Iowa, she will get a good bonus if and when she ever decides to become a racemare.

We'd really like to see what she can do at a distance and on the turf, but first she just needs to "get in the game". This is a $12,500 maiden claimer with a full field, tenth race runs at 7:43 pm CDT, and she's #2. :)
Rocking H

horsenuts
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Wordplay tries again July 2nd

Postby horsenuts » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:11 pm

henthorn wrote:Prairie Meadows' TB meeting ends on the fourth of July, and we get one last chance for a maiden win this Monday July 2nd in the evening. A mixed breeds season will follow, but with fewer TB races and lower purses. But since Wordplay is a state-bred in Iowa, she will get a good bonus if and when she ever decides to become a racemare.

We'd really like to see what she can do at a distance and on the turf, but first she just needs to "get in the game". This is a $12,500 maiden claimer with a full field, tenth race runs at 7:43 pm CDT, and she's #2. :)

Good luck... racing needs more owners/breeders like you. I admire your committment to the game..... one has to love it to stay with it.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:19 am

Best of luck!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:40 am

Good Luck! :)
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

merse
Allowance Winner

Fingers crossed!

Postby merse » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:39 pm

Best of luck. Need those Maidens to win!

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Best of all

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:42 pm

Saw the Wordplay chart, looks as though she didn't fire. Sorry Henthorn, better luck next time.

BTW forgot to ask. Is Wordplay the daughter of Festival of Light or is that another of your horses I'm thinking of?

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi, Geo. No, the Festival of Light filly is Music Fest, 3yo daughter of my mare Spanish Guitar. She raced last month (poorly) at Louisiana Downs for her owners, and I don't know their current plan for her. The plan at her purchase was to be a broodmare for Mr. Ryder of Ryder River Ridge.

Wordplay is sour, unhappy, and probably gets sore in an old check ligament injury. I sold her yesterday to a man who develops show horses in Iowa. There is such a glut on the horse market right now that she has very little current value as an open mare and/or racing prospect. And since I have to board her out, I'll leave her future development to others. :roll:
Rocking H

RavenSuesMom1
Maiden Special Weight

Postby RavenSuesMom1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Dern ... wish I had known you were gonna sell Wordplay into show rings and I had had money ;) I thought she was a nice looking filly.
Holly Canfield

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:49 am

I agree, Holly. But beauty in itself doesn't pay the bills. And I'm glad someone's taking her for a different career plan than racing. She might be great at that. She's smart, beautiful, and hopefully will develop nicely in the show arena. Maybe later she can make babies for racing or show.
Rocking H

RavenSuesMom1
Maiden Special Weight

Postby RavenSuesMom1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:25 am

I know pretty doesn't pay the bills :lol:

My little pretty yearling gelding has already cost me $5000 between buying him and board and care ... :roll: At least I was warned before i bought him that horses are like houses .. .you just pour money into most of them!

I'll keep an eye out for Wordplay in the show circuit and will anxiously await babies down the road (might make a nice outcross for an appendix Quarter Horse!)
Holly Canfield

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:53 am

About 95 % are not cost effective, so pouring you out.
Henthorn I am sad for you, but I think you made the right decision selling her as she looks nicely. I suppose she have nice gaits, good enough for the showring

emmad
Maiden Special Weight

Postby emmad » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:42 pm

Always a hard decision but is best when made as early as possible :)

I shake my head at times seeing horses having their 40th start without showing any improvement.