Tevez.

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Tevez.

Postby wilf » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:47 pm

Well it was a little unfortunate that he was squeezed out at a point when he should have been making up ground, that's why I like him to be out of it and come running late, but he seems to be ok after the race and easier opponents in cool weather on the polytrack await him up north. The plan was to get a couple of runs into him down south and that has been done but jeez the turf looked in terrible shape next to the rail and I wonder how they will keep running on it alongside Calder's meet?

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Wilf wrote: "... jeez the turf looked in terrible shape next to the rail and I wonder how they will keep running on it alongside Calder's meet?"

Yes. Another PQ poster, in comments about a race today in which I had a horse, noted: “The Gulfstream sod looked in crappy shape on my monitor, lots of kickback.”
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Yes it's a case of overuse plain and simple. There's a very good reason that the grass courses in Europe and the southern hemisphere are flawless for the most part because they will run 7 or 8 races and then not race there again for 3 or 4 weeks. It's all well and good having a split course on a very wide turf strip but Gulfstream uses it to the max and I was shocked watching the replay in Tevez' race. It looked like Colonial Downs after about 4 weeks of racing.........a cow pasture. Charlie Whittingham once said " the worst turf course is better than the best dirt course", I beg to differ. I am sure that the So Cal tracks used their turf quite judiciously when Charlie was around. Sometimes in mid-meet a track might get a break by having several rainy day off-the-turf cards but I cannot recall too many this year in South Florida.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 pm

I see Tevez is in Sunday at Woodbine (Race 6). How do you fancy his chances in this one, Wilf?

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:48 am

Well it's a good spot for him and he is training well or so I am told. The favourite of McKnight's will be tough but Tevvy should love a return to the poly and cool temps.. I would love to be there but simply cannot ,anyway I will be watching and hoping for a clean shot. DaSilva rides him and is 100% on him so far.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:40 pm

I was very happy with 2nd place, the favourite is tough now and the barn is hot. If you step back and look at the big picture I cannot believe that he is still competitive at 9 after being down to $5 k only 2 years ago. Last fall he was a fresh horse and did well to win and I only hope that he can win at any level at Woodbine as the purses are so good even for non Ontario breds. Anyway thanks for the interest and maybe he will give us something more to cheer about this year. If not then he has been a delight to be connected with.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 am

Hi Wilf. That was an excellent performance by Tevez and a nice check. To be competitive at 20k at Woodbine, that's really excellent.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri May 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Ok we scratched out of a $16 and back into a $10 and hopefully give him an easier task but you never know. The old boy seems to need things to go his way to do his best and he did get a beautiful ride when he won as a fresh horse last fall. In all honesty he may have lost a step but whatever he does is fine by me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Is he getting his ale? :)

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat May 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Yes, a nice bit of Guinness can work wonders! And we love Tevez no matter what he does.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat May 16, 2015 4:29 pm

I think Guinness is a stout? On second thought I saw a Guinness Pale Ale in the shop last week... The problem with booze is the piss test later :D :D

Go Tevvy.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue May 19, 2015 2:45 pm

hahaha I have no problem with Guinness, especially over in Ireland. Any way I think that Tevvy might win one if he gets a decent trail behind the speed on the rail. He seems to prefer the rail which is a no brainer really being the shortest way to the wire. Another spot comes up on the 29th I think so let's see what happens then.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed May 20, 2015 11:13 am

You're right Madelyn, Guinness is a stout. Guinness Pale Ale? Haven't seen it, something to look forward to though...

Wilf, Tevez is older and wiser. Of course he knows the shortest way to the finish line... A nice third though in that last race.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:38 am

A nice third again yesterday at Woodbine.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks Geo, I thought he ran well enough and kept at his task to the wire.