Washed off the turf again, but....

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Washed off the turf again, but....

Postby Denise » Tue May 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Well, Pebble to a Pearl was scheduled for a start at Penn National tonight, but they took the race off the grass, and it scratched down to 2. Count 'em, 2.
:P
We have her and her Brother Sy entered at Fairhill, MD instead, in two different flat races, this Saturday. She's going 7F; Sy will go 10 panels.
The Fairhill races are always well-attended, well-supported and the course is magnificent. Let's hope the weather cooperates, as it should be a fun day.
My dilemma will be the hat(s), because brother/sister race in different silks.
:lol:

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue May 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Jeez Denise, turf racing is a great joy when the weather cooperates. Scratched down to 2 that's ridiculous! Anyway one door closes another one opens ,let's hope for a great day out at Fair Hill.

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Fairhill was a lot of fun!

Postby Denise » Sun May 29, 2011 2:53 pm

What fun at Fairhill: 15,000+ fans, good weather, nice day!
Pearl was a game second in her heat, losing to a 7 year old gelding. There are some terrific photos at Tod Marks' website of all the races, and here's a really pretty shot of the grey girl from our friend, Lydia Williams: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
Brother Sy didn't run, but came out it just fine. He is a very smart horse and mostly decides on his own how things will go, and we have little choice in the matter. :?
Just glad we're seeing some green, firm turf in the MidAtlantic now and looking forward to our season!

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Great photo of Pearl she's very Cozzene ,I only wish I had been there,it's very hot here with awful humidity sitting in the Ohio valley and the horses are melting in their stalls even with the fans running.

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:16 am

Wilf,
How are Tev and Peanut liking the cooler weather in the region? These are more Saratoga-like mornings now, cool and dry, and it's a good forecast for a few more days, thankfully! :D
There are replays up on the National Steeplechase Assn. website from Fairhill. It was fun to watch them again. Great crowds!

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Well Denise it certainly has been a wonderful break from the sauna-like weather of earlier in the week and the farmers actually got some great haymaking done in perfect conditions for a change. I am babysitting a nervous filly who is about to run on the turf in a few hours and she is a nightmare for kicking off her hind shoes. Tevez is on the turf on tuesday at Mountaineer and the weather looks promising. Let's hope for settled weather so we can all get a chance to try the grass again after so long a wait!

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Good luck to Tevvy on Tuesday! We have Pearl back in at Parx the same day in the first of a starter series handicap. Now I have an "exacta" for which to root!
:D
Love the Cozzene grandchildren who love the lawn!

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:30 pm

So Pearly and Tev both got thirds! All right. Like the in the money finishes! :D

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Hey Denise well done ! Actually it was a drag for me as I had two turfers going in the early races but we had an awful storm late morning which put an end to that idea but I did not scratch either as it was a wet fast surface instead of the usual deep cuppy nature of this track and it saved me trying to work them on another day. All's well that ends well I guess and we can both regroup for another shot! Concerning Pearl's race she was in deep and got no respect yet she ran tremendously to only get beat a length,I think that she is going places.

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:31 am

I did read Tev's chart and it didn't register that it was an OTT run! What a versatile foot he has on all surfaces! While Pearl did break her maiden on the dirt, she, like the rest of her sibs, clearly relishes the grass. I found out later these girls ran a few hundredths off the track record, so it was a good group. It would be intriguing to get Pearl on the AW sometime, since turf form seems to carry over on that, but if we keep getting grass races to go here, there's no urgency.
She is a huge girl (16.3h) but a May baby, so she's still grasping the whole racing thing in her "mind." The heart is there for sure. When the mind catches up with the body and the heart, the athlete will be complete!
Her Brother Sy is in Sunday at Parx, provided the weekend storms don't linger!

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Browsing around Flickr tonight I found a photo you may like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlfleenorpics/6287960958/

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Thank you!

Postby Denise » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:52 am

Lucy,
Thank you for pointing out this photo! I was hoping for a better outing that day from the big grey Pearl, but she hasn't liked the soft going we've had to deal with here in the MidAtlantic at all! The girls in this family are all rather "opinionated" about what they do and don't like, and not shy about expressing their feelings. She has a baby half-sister called Red Peak (Rimrod) who is mightily cheeky already. Might have something to do with being chestnut, too.
:shock:

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:13 am

Nice photo Lucy , I wish you had been up here on wednesday when I had a first time starter who shied away from the pony and lost her balance in the deep mud going onto the track unseating the rider and getting about an inch of mud all over herself and the saddle,now THAT was a photo op! Fortunately she was fine and only lost her dignity so after a vet-check and hose down she made her way to the gate and ran a respectable 2nd.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:46 pm

I can't take credit for the photo (I only *wish* mine would come out that sharp!), I was browsing aother person's thread and the name caught my eye.

The gentleman who took it does seem to spend a fair amount of time at the Midatlantic tracks, so perhaps he was there for you filly's "Kodak moment". ;)