Carmen Electrick

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Carmen Electrick

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:17 am

After a paradigm shift, barn change, etc. six weeks ago, we are in today in the 3rd at Turfway. Trainer had a win yesterday, hope it means a trend - although he is calling this race a "tightener". At least my input was noticed and we are going a mile.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:45 am

Bets of trips..
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Well she broke on top and found herself baffled by being in the lead, rolled all the way back sightseeing and then closed way too late. Needs blinkers next out. Everything else was great. She had her big girl panties on.

I insisted on no lasix since we were not expecting much except "experience" and we scoped after. Nothing. Airway perfect, no blood at all.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 pm

We've done our three weeks in blinkers, got her approved yesterday out of the gate with them on and got a berth in the 2nd at Turfway on Sunday going 1-16 mi.. but holy cow look at the jammed full fields on Sunday! We are in a field of 14! We have Erin Wilkinson again, who will be able to report whether the blinkers made a difference..

One fun thing is there will be quite a lot of familiar faces in the receiving barn. S'posed to be really cold again, though.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Good luck!!
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 am

Scratched :( hope she's okay.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 pm

She's fine. It was a licensing issue re the trainer (and his really bad, wildcat, deadbeat brother who did not pay a feed bill from 5 years ago).

All who enter the game should be warned; if you are in partnership or have your name anywhere on documentation for a horse who raced or is racing, the debts of the others in that horse can be held against you and you will not race, no matter what. My trainer was down as the trainer of his brother's horses so he is liable. I'm not liable for the debt, but we can't race until it is paid unless I change trainers.

I have a client in the NE who has been trying to get me into partnership - thing is I KNOW this guy and he is a horrible payer and nothing whatsoever could induce me to put my name on a horse with him.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:12 am

That is good to know, I might need to take in partners on my colt and while I would always do my due diligence that would not guarantee it would be problem free.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Well Madelyn what's the scoop? Hopefully something will finally go your way.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi wilf, thanks for asking!

Yes, we got the licencing cleared up. Carmen got a winter bug and had snots and cough for a few days - no fever and was bright, just snots and cough. There is a race on 2/15 that sets up very well for her, and our little barn has a NW3 that has one in the book that day also, so I would only have to pay 1/2 haul.

My Cryptoclearance colt is coming along in leaps and bounds, and looks like being a really terrific horse. We hope to have him ready for Keeneland. I named him "Eight to the Bar" and he is a nice big horse with great bone, perfectly made, 100% correct, smart and with a good attitude - it is rare to find all of those qualities in one young colt. He won't be three until June 17th which is why I didn't send him in to start galloping until December. He stands 16:3h easily - but moves and carries himself so smoothly. Not mooselike.

We have lost our stalls yet again, though. Trackside is closed for the winter once more, and now Glendale Training Ctr in So Indiana has been closed and torn down for yet more houses. The Center in Sellersburg was just sold to a QH trainer and all the TB's have to be out this month. That totals about 800 stalls not available - although Trackside will reopen in March sometime (about half of that I think).

How are things in sunny FLA?

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Florida has been kind to us all with few frosty nights and thankfully far away from your misery up north. Good hay is about $18 per bale but everything else is reasonable. Training centers are not full in Ocala aand stall rental is from $4 to $8 per day.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 am

:shock: $18 a bale! And I was moaning about $7 for rich heavy pure alfalfa and $4 for good grass..

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:51 pm

I have some horses in Texas and Oklahoma now and at $10. you get an ugly coastal bale of hay.Here I get beautiful timothy/alfafa for a quarter of that.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:51 am

Well we are regrouped and back for another try today at Turfway Park of the horrible purses (I call it "running for a case of beer"). We are in a packed full field in the 6th at 3:28 pm.

For you line breeding fans out there, I noticed another mare in the group who is tail female to Somethingroyal!! Her name is Seattle Rising. But for the fact that I really have no respect at all for Seattle Fitz, I would think someone would be interested in her as a BM prospect for that fourth dam alone...

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Hope your horse is ok.