Eight to the Bar

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:39 am

Well we are in pretty deep this coming Sunday at Churchill on closing day. It is the 5th race at 2:51pm. The fields look jammed for this last day of the new September meet. I don't expect much; this is a "schooling" race for him.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:37 am

Saw his entry on Virtual Stable. Hope I can tune in on TVG. Best wishes!
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Will be watching.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:29 am

We had a last minute rider change; he broke well. Not sure what happened at the 1/4 pole but he backed way out; then only galloped and never hit a breeze at all. I know there was some "sightseeing" going on. He was all full of himself after, like he never ran at all. Which effectively speaking, he didn't. He was only puffing a bit, not out of breath at all. Next day I turned him out and he bucked and raced around the field forever.

We are training now on the polytrack, getting ready for Keeneland, looking for a lot more distance.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:25 pm

i would wheel him right back after a gate work.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Yes, we are thinking about 8-1/2f on the turf at Keeneland..

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Actually we finally got "settled" in well at High Pointe and have had a couple of team member changes, along with a great new work plan (four weeks ago). He's now got a "lot of air" and has been steadily muscling up more and improving. I've got him in Wed Nov 30 in the 7th at Churchill with Greta Kuntzweiler up. We ended up not getting in at Keeneland and it is probably for the best since we've tried the polytrack and results were so-so - I still want turf but this mile and an eighth is the best I could do with finding a spot for a fit horse now.

Yesterday he went 3 in 38 and change, galloped out 4 in 53 and the track is over-the-fetlocks deep since it has been far too cold to water it.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: Eight to the Bar

Postby jellac » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:56 am

Madelyn - Just watched Eight To The Bar take second at Ellis Park on HRTV - Are you still his owner/trainer? I couldn't really sort out the pre-race information as there were distractions going on here at home, during the coverage. I didn't even catch on that he was in the race until the start when I recognized his name as the first calls were being announced.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Getting closer Madelyn!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:27 am

:lol: :lol: Yes, I am still his hard-headed owner/trainer, which works well for such a hard headed horse. Two starts ago, I changed it up dramatically and threw him in at 6f with a new rider. That rider helped the horse figure out what he was actually supposed to do. We tried next at 6-1/2 where he rushed past 6 to get 4th and I figured what we needed now was a one-turn mile. Two turns just confuses the heck out of the horse. We got dusted by Vickie Foley's horse but that one was a $280K yearling purchase by Mark Casse and the groom told me the Foleys got him off that trainer for $50K (making me feel a bit better about my dirt cheap homebred). Most shocked of all, though, must have been Pompell, who ignored me the last time he rode him (to get 8th) and whipped the horse just out of the gate. It makes that horse Really Mad and he will stop or just sulk the whole way. This time the rider rode him just exactly as asked. The improvement over the last race, where he got one call, was enormous - he was never further than fourth and was in the call for the whole race. I was quite over the moon. Oh and we got "specialled" so he has now experienced the test barn!

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:50 pm

"Specialled", you've hot the big time now.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Because I am such a tightwad I am looking to combine ETB's next start with Mistress Sweet's first start and save about $350 in hauling. Either July 19th at Indiana Downs or July 27th at Ellis Park (more likely) - I would REALLY hit the big time if I got two wins on one card from my two horse stable..

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:23 am

I finally got my wish and this Sat both are in at Ellis. Victor Lebron was clueless on ETB last out (the 4th was all the horse) and I got Pompell back. His agent probably got a talking to for taking him off ETB and putting him on a first timer who ended up scratched, so now he is also on the filly. In her race is another filly by Rocking Trick! What are the odds of that??

On the filly, this is the SEVENTH try to get her a race - the other six just did not go.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:22 am

Madelyn -

Good Luck to you and BOTH Horses. Amazing that you find your filly in/contending against a Rocking Trick offspring - agreed: "What are the chances!"

I sure hope Eight to the Bar gets things 'his way' as that seems to be what turns him on.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 am

Yes, he gave the farrier an exceptionally tough time yesterday - he gets like that. He thinks it's funny. He can be a real PITA. He has the dance down now.. get shoes, get pre race, go to the track right up to race day but jog 6f and gallop 6f instead of 12f/12f and go in the round pen for a good 20 minutes of bucking and rolling the night before the race. He was getting to the race with way too much pent up energy and it was ruining his day. The filly on the other hand was an angel (usually NOT) and I don't know what her protocol will be since it is her first time. Both got new shoes. I try to shoe at least three days out and they get to go at least once or twice on the new ones. I gave the filly HCG because she might be coming in heat and that is the LAST thing we need. Their teeth were checked this morning.

I promised ETB water from home this trip.. been saving jugs. The water at Ellis Park is really bad (it reeks) and last time he passed it six times cooling out and then screwed up his face and stuck only the very edges of his lips to the top of the water. He gave me such a LOOK. Like I am such a bad mother. I want them each to have five gallons of GOOD water when they come back. A pal told me Tampa Bay is like that, really bad sulfur water. He is a shipper and he told of bringing up loads of horses who all went crazy when they hit a stop in Georgia and got a whiff of sweet water. He said one stop was over an hour long filling buckets and horses sucking down every drop he hauled when he had eight on the trailer.