A question about lazy 2yr.olds

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

A question about lazy 2yr.olds

Postby 3nutmeg » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:39 am

Has anyone ever had a relatively quiet, lazy(laid back but smart) 2yr.old? Did they become more energized when they went into training? Do they change their attitude during training? Did they race?

My 2yr.old gelding in the Winter Woolies. About 16.2hds.

madelyn

Re: A question about lazy 2yr.olds

Postby madelyn » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Horses generally get very much more energized in training when they become fit. With muscle, a solid feed program and consistent exercise they generally really "pick their heads up".

Also, in my 52 years of horsemanship, I have noticed that horses seldom act under saddle the same way as they do in a field, or a stall, or with other horses. IE observing them there is not a good indicator. I have seen so many horses people said were bullets in the field be the slowest thing ever seen on the racetrack. You can only prove anything about a horse by actually doing it - racing or training. Just talking about it achieves nothing. Temperament has little to do with speed or racing talent, except that a nervous hot head can be a pain to train because they will wash out.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Re: A question about lazy 2yr.olds

Postby Blue feather » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:13 am

My experience is similar to Madelyn's. It's difficult to judge ability until they actually race. Reading their behaviors is just not a good indicator of ability. Personally, I prefer intelligence over energy. The one thing I would do would be get a blood test just to make sure that "laziness" isn't physiological. By the way, he is a well balanced, good looking gelding. Good luck with him.