Church Law returns to the races

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Church Law returns to the races

Postby henthorn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:30 pm

My 5yo gelding named Church Law is scheduled to return to the races April 2, 2005 in the second race at Sam Houston, racing at 7:26pm CST.
It's a maiden claiming $10,000 at 6 1/2 furlongs on the dirt.

I claimed him in his second start at Del Mar in 2003, and December 10th that year he sustained a stress fracture of his cannon bone. Conservative care was recommended, but didn't work, so six months later he got his surgery. He then continued to be the veterinarian's best source of income through many minor abrasions, and finally returned to training around November. (He needs to stay in a padded cell, as he has a penchant for self-injury.) My trainer John Locke has been slow and steady with him to make sure his bones and soft tissues are ready for the strain of racing, and we've had to skip entries due to races that didn't fill and an additional heel laceration. Finally he's in this race, as the planned MSW and Mdn 35K didn't fill. The purse isn't much, but he needs to run, and hopefully go on to better races at Lone Star to follow.

Wish us well. We need all the help we can get. :!: :P
Rocking H

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:38 pm

Good Luck
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:40 pm

Go get em Henthorn!

Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:29 pm

What a saga! After all that, you deserve a really great race. Good luck and safe trip!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:09 pm

Good Luck and DON'T break a leg.... :lol:
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:29 am

Good Luck Rocking H,

Safe trip to your horse, and as you know, you have one hell of a good trainer in your employment.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:12 am

Guest, do you know John Locke? John, is that you? :P Most people in the know just shake their heads when they hear I'm trying out a 5yo maiden, that it's just good money after bad. I should have given him away for free when his fracture didn't mend well. I guess it's my own stubbornness that makes me march on with him. It's not like I haven't lost on other vet cases in the past, or have unrealistic expectations about his ability level. I guess you could just say I'm curious and foolish. No one who knows me would argue against that description. :roll:
Rocking H

BenB
Sophomore Sire

church law

Postby BenB » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:04 pm

Hoping he will be finishing the trip in one piece, after all the work done on him. Just all the best. Both of you needs it.

Ben

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:28 pm

His past performances make him look like a stakes horse compared to all the others in the race. His speed ratings were much higher 18mo ago at age three than any of the other eleven in the race are at ages 4 and 5. I expect he will be the favorite, but anyone who claims a 5yo gelding from a $10K MCl race needs his/her head examined.
Rocking H

elviswastheking
Maiden Special Weight

Postby elviswastheking » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:09 am

Rocking H,

I should have signed in before I posted. No need to have anyone think that "John the Locke" is plugging his own name. He trains for some very good friends of mine and my family.

Best of luck to Church Law, and your other charges.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:36 pm

Man that was easy......

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:52 pm

We didn't know quite what to expect except that the horse was definitely fit enough. His dam's race record was best sprinting, and review of Church Law's past performances showed he definitely did better sprinting than he did over a mile as a three year old, with double digit losses in his three distance races, and a 2nd, 3rd, 4th place finish in the other three sprint races. He looks like a distance horse, as does his pedigree.

Tonight he was outside post of twelve, sprinted to the front, led by 3 lengths at the quarter pole, and increased the lead to 14 1/4 lengths at the finish. John Locke said Church was really wound up when he got to the winner's circle. (I didn't see that part of the broadcast). I decided to enjoy the race without worrying whether he might be claimed, and he wasn't! :!: Fractions were 22.63,46.00,1:11.43,1:18.08. I'm tickled. :lol:
Rocking H

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:16 am

Now he's eligible for starter allowances, claiming, and allowance NW2. Hope he stays out of trouble so he and we can enjoy his racing career.
Rocking H

elviswastheking
Maiden Special Weight

Postby elviswastheking » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:11 pm

Rocking H,

He was much the best! See you at Lone Star.