Miss Pinkerton

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Miss Pinkerton

Postby madelyn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:30 pm

This filly came to my farm two years or so ago as a baby and was always a slow chunky lazy baby. She is still just about the laziest and most laid back horse you will find anywhere that is in training plus she looks like a Ransom Note or some kind of photoshopped horse -- enormous wide head from some other breed stuck atop a very short fat neck attached to a really LONG body with just a very tiny hump in the spine before the SI - and this big fat apple cheeked butt that is all Quarter Horse... on top of Long legs with big knees and hocks and HUGE feet that belong to a Shire somewhere who is missing them. She's brushing the stick at 17h. Her works have all been, well uninspiring is an understatement... but she has figured out that she likes to run on grass and she knows what to do when the gate opens. She's got 4th 3rd and 2nd her last three starts and we are entering Tuesday for Friday.

It's kind of fun to have a horse that has to be chased in the shedrow to jog for the state vet :D :D
Last edited by madelyn on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Altanbarr
Allowance Winner

Re: Miss Pinkerton

Postby Altanbarr » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Best of luck with her.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:28 am

thanks :D Yesterday in the 8th at Indiana, it turned up a much tougher field than last time. She got checked at the half, maybe boxed in there, and lost a bit of ground but ran in 3rd the whole way and fought off all the closers made a run but the 1-2 horses surged on, Finished in 3rd beat 2 lengths. I found it a bit inspiring that my chunko funny looking filly put me in front of a who's who of trainers straggling out behind. Now that Churchlil is closed Indiana and Belterra are picking up bigger names coming in to run. We are 5-0-1-2 66% at Indiana Grand.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:58 am

Miss Pinkerton keeps on surprising. As fall drew near I despaired of finding her the right race on the grass so we started training back on the dirt, which used to just confound and exhaust her. She has grown and gotten stronger on those grass races, and the times we went for grass and ran in the mud instead. She finally got her shoulders hard into it and started attacking it so I went for a couple of breezes and she had really picked it up. So last Saturday night at Indiana, the 5th race, 5-1/2 on the dirt (it was wet fast contrary to the posting of fast) she led nearly the whole way and was squeaked out by 3/4 to run a really strong second. The rest of the field was 3+ lengths back to 23 lengths back, including a WINNER, Sassy Zeeman, who had won in a previous race and got disqualified. She equalled her best performance on the grass, speed rating wise, and is becoming a really versatile horse. On to Turfway!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:45 am

And Miss Pinkerton continues her Bridesmaid Streak with a strong 3rd on Wednesday night in the 6th at Turfway 6 furlong Maiden Special Weight. She beat some good ones and was only 4-3/4 lengths back at the end and closing.

This filly was tossed aside an a No-Hoper by two previous owners and the current owner went from "get rid of her" to "keep it up!!" She's now 11-0-2-3 with some 4ths and 5ths so only 4 times out of the money. She keeps on growing and her body is starting to lose its odd lengths and angles. At four maybe she will be a looker!!

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Glad she's finally growing into her body. Even if she hasn't found the winners circle yet, bringing home checks is nothing to sneeze at! Good luck with her in the future and I hope she gets that win for you soon.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:06 pm

And The Bridesmaid Streak Continues!! In the 5th tonight at Turfway, Miss P broke on top led the whole way and got nailed at the end getting 2nd in maiden special weight.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:55 am

We are taking them on again on Thursday night in the 6th race. She is #5 of 8 and 3-1 in the morning line.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Well the wait in the gate made her restless and she missed the break, costing her, I believe, the win or place. She broke at the back and got badly pinched off. She ran up on them and closed in to get 4th by 3-3/4 lengths from the front.

This race provides a very interesting glimpse of the ramifications of the KTDF nomination. The winner, Sky Diety, is a KY bred filly by Sky Classic, and the filly is four years old. Sky Classic stood in KY in 2014 when she was bred and was a KTDF paid stallion. At the time she was foaled, the fee to KTDF pay a weanling by Dec 31 of the foaling year was a paltry $30. However they did not register the foal, nor as a yearling, nor as a horse of racing age before her first start. Last night the filly won a maiden special weight at Turfway Park with a purse of $18,500 but $8500 was KTDF. So instead of cashing a check for $11,100, the connections got $6,000. :D Additionally, the 3rd place filly is a VA bred so they got $1,000 instead of $1850, while my KTDF filly got $925 for her 4th place finish which would have been $500 without the nomination. So the difference between 3rd and 4th was $75!!!

Miss Pinkerton had got 3rd and 2nd last two times in the race and had got the full $3700 ($2000 without KTDF) and $1850 ($1,000 without KTDF), plus $925 ($500 without KTDF) last night so to date her $30 nomination has returned $2,975. The owner and I have both paid KTDF nomination money over the years but I think we actually got it ALL back so far on this one filly or at least pretty close. :D:D

Incidentally we received an email from equibase regarding Miss Pinkerton's 2nd place finish back in December that her equibase speed figure had been incorrectly calculated and they were adjusting it to 81.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:40 pm

That's an interesting analysis of the KTDF aspect.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Well at least she's consistently near the FRONT of the pack and not the back! Maybe with a little more time to grow into that body, she'll turn out to be something! Best wishes to you both, Madelyn.

And please keep us posted!
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 am

Yes she is a thrill to watch now - she's been within the last five lengths the last 4 starts and her speed rating continues to improve.

We're entering again Friday for next Thursday at Turfway, MSW 6 furlongs. She's training well and actually is showing some ferocity and getting tough to gallop! My owner wants me to put up a bug and get her a 10 lb weight allowance which could make a length or two difference at the end..

perryT200
Weanling

Postby perryT200 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Congrats. That horse looked rather impressive especially compared to my friends rats.

Wire to wire was a nice touch too.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:58 pm

For my partner in that filly, that was his Dream Race. Wire to Wire.
The 10 lb bug did what I asked. When she got back she said, "I did exactly what you said, and SHE did EXACTLY what you said!!!!" I asked her to not whip the horse I wanted to see what she would do under a vigorous hand ride with a 10 lb weight allowance in the stretch. Miss Pinkerton is an experienced horse who has taken her time to grasp her schooling but once she "gets it" she needs no more taskmaster. I liked the outside post a lot since when she lingers in the gate her ADD kicks in and she misses the break, which has cost her the race or a better placing in the past. She got to hang around out back while the gate crew fought the number 4 horse into place. I was very pleased really I figured "last in first out" and that's exactly what happened.

I did not ever see your friend. The receiving barn is very big, though. Or perhaps his horses were on the grounds in a trainer's shedrow. Frankly I spend just about every minute with my horse. I want them walking over with every hair in place and gleaming. To say I got home, at 1:40 am, totally exhausted is an understatement, yet still unable to fall asleep until like 5 or something. That was my First win in a Maiden Special Weight, which is the top class for maidens. What a nice Valentine's Day.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:22 pm

Congratulations on the win now to get the nw2l
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America