Miss Pinkerton

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Re: Miss Pinkerton

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:16 am

Aargh after that Indiana Aother 25K where Camacho finally asked her at the 1/4 pole and she came flying to get third we brought her back and coming around the turn Camacho got excited and forgot and hit Miss P with the WHIP. She threw up her head backed out at least 4 lengths and then he beat the crap out of her. Ended up 10 lengths back of the pack and beat one. She is one that just can't be hit. We're back to Abel Lezcano or else enter No Whip.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Pardon my ignorance but if you can enter "no whip" and she can't be hit, why wouldn't you go ahead and do that to keep the jock from taking a swing out of habit? Is there some downside or penalty for running without one? Quite curious, I didn't even know "no whip" was an option.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:15 am

It's old school but it is just not safe to ride without a whip. It is preferable to have a jockey who listens to instructions and rides as asked, like Abel Lezcano, who has won three in a row on Miss Pinkerton plus two more for me by listening to instructions. A lot of the others appear to listen but ride the way they ride no matter what the trainer says.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Sorry for the hiccup in her streak, Madelyn. Hopefully things will work out better for her the next go.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks Zia we're going to hover over the Aother at Keeneland that enters Sunday and take a poke at it if it's light.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 am

Miss P is stretching her legs at the farm along with Queen Maxine, Stormy Memo and Belgian Candy. Everyone is getting a much deserved break. We are sitting out December to see how the fields st Turfway shape up - with the purse increases I expect a LOT of good horses will hang in until Churchill evicts them at the end of December.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Time for a little Christmas break. :)

We're also seeing some tougher competition with the higher purses, and the higher purses are sometimes the result of a shortened meet, so a triple whammy -- fewer race days, fewer races, tougher company.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 am

Happy to report we found a new home for Belgian Candy. While she did break her maiden, she was always a bundle of nerves and racing was not her thing. She had very modest talent - decent brief speed but not much cruising speed - and the owner agreed to let her move on to a new home.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:16 am

madelyn wrote:Happy to report we found a new home for Belgian Candy. While she did break her maiden, she was always a bundle of nerves and racing was not her thing. She had very modest talent - decent brief speed but not much cruising speed - and the owner agreed to let her move on to a new home.

This is always a tough call to make but definitely the right one. Hopefully Belgian Candy will go on to a productive second career in her new home.

Laurie

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:39 am

Well we started back on Jan 14 - moved to a new spot. A pal has a private barn at Skylight KY and we can use the 6 furlong polytrack. The track is pretty good and we haven't missed a day. I've got Queen Maxine, Stormy Memo, Miss Pinkerton (who is fighting a stubborn abscess) and a new player, Indiana-bred Sheza Miracle Baby. Miracle is a filly I got a year ago with an outrageous shin problem and really bad feet along with being just skin over bones. She is a whole new horse now though, and looks like being a nice one.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:46 am

Let us know how the training on the polytrack differs and is better or worse for the horses. Some top places like Fair Hill use a synthetic surface, and their performance at TP might move up - if you can get a start or two in before March ends.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:50 am

The poly is great in the winter because we just don't miss a day. It might not be heavy or hard enough to be perfect for your dirt performers but at least they do train on it so they can maintain fitness. It is great for your grass types, though, because they just love it and they really train. Nowhere and nothing is ever perfect - this is a good solution for me for Jan to April or so I'll reevaluate then.