Who's got runners?

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Who's got runners?

Postby mehile » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 am

Congrats! Two in about a week has got to feel extra sweet. Good luck with continued success!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:46 pm

:D It was two wins in a row at Belterra - Friday and Saturday. Just amazing. I've got 5 wins so far this year from my tiny stable.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:32 pm

:D :D :D :D :D That is great
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 pm

madelyn wrote::D It was two wins in a row at Belterra - Friday and Saturday. Just amazing. I've got 5 wins so far this year from my tiny stable.

That's awesome, Madelyn!
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 pm

The Super Saver son I mentioned in an earlier post unfortunately did not get along with the Albuquerque track. He came up sore and is being given a break for 30-45 days. He may not run at Albuquerque this season, but our trainer anticipates he'll be back in form for the Zia Park meet.

Meanwhile, we were able to claim one of our homebreds in April (Blazing Away) and he's won his last two outs after not having won in a year. We're over the moon about having him back and about how well he's doing under the care of our trainer, Justin Evans.

Laurie

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Our homebred (Blazing Away aka "Zinger") just had his third win in four starts after we claimed him this spring. Also, his earnings just topped $100k with his latest win tonight. Our trainer and his team have done wonders with him. It's been quite a summer and we know we've been very blessed.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 am

Wow. We are trying to plot out a path for Miss Pinkerton to get to the $100K mark. So Far she has ticked off some bucket list things for my partner - won MSW, won Three In A Row.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am

Wow. We are trying to plot out a path for Miss Pinkerton to get to the $100K mark. So Far she has ticked off some bucket list things for my partner - won MSW, won Three In A Row.

All the best for four in a row and hitting the six figure mark in the near future. She's taken you on quite a ride! Congrats, Madelyn. Just added her to my virtual stable.

Laurie

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks. We have our eye on three races on the September 8th book at KY Downs. Any one of those might push her over the mark.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:20 am

Well the KY Downs line up has us chickened out. Miss Pinkerton will go for Four In A Row tomorrow afternoon at Belterra in the Starter 5K - the same as she won recently. She is 7-2 favorite in the morning line. I'm trying the always bent out of shape, nervous nellie Sidney's Candy filly on the turf the first time nw2 the 7th race, Belgian Candy. Then I head over to Indiana to saddle Stormy Memo in the 8th. I'm essentially a four horse stable right now but heck let's Go Big!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:45 am

Belterra came off the turf yesterday apparently had got rain overnight, so we scratched Miss Pinkerton and Belgian Candy. I went on to Indiana with Stormy Memo trying 6 furlongs on the dirt. They had got TORRENTIAL rain and the track was very muddy but sealed (not like the pond Queen Maxine won in on the 20th) and Stormy got a kind of wide outside trip but it was the safest choice in that mud. She closed very strong and got 3rd in a blanket finish.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:18 pm

I saw the scratch on Miss Pinkerton. Glad she's okay, Madelyn.

We tried Blazing Away ("Zinger") in an 870 against QHs and TBs on September 4th. We weren't sure how he'd do since he's not used to horses outbreaking him, but he did well. He hit the lead before the turn, but a horse veered in on him and his jockey had to check him back to 5th. He fought back with everything he had to come in 3rd by a nose, only 3/4 of a length behind the winner. He was all heart and the jockey did the right thing. It was just bad racing luck. The offending horse was disqualified, but since he finished behind Zinger, it didn't move him up.

Not sure we'll enter him in an 870 again. We'll see how things play out.

He'll be headed to Zia Park next week, along with Super Senor.

Laurie

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am

Hey I Did Not Know you could enter a TB against Quarters! I have a filly that would work for! I wonder if Indiana allows it.

We went back to Indiana with Miss Pinkerton last Saturday in an A-other $25,000 for $32,500 (her owner wanted to try "big money") and "my" jockey spun me and went to KY Downs. Miss P is an acquired taste for riders and I do need to widen the group of riders for her. Sammy Camacho looked at me funny when I told him she closes and you can't hit her behind the saddle, only tap her on the shoulder. He didn't try it until the quarter pole and she came from 13 lengths back passed 6 and got 3rd only 3 lengths out. Sammy came back said if he had known the horse he would have won please give him another chance. He didn't know a horse could close like that in a 5 furlong race.

Miss P ended her win streak but the last five she is 2-1-1-1-3 so that is still kind of a streak.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:48 am

madelyn wrote:Hey I Did Not Know you could enter a TB against Quarters! I have a filly that would work for! I wonder if Indiana allows it.

The 870s are fairly common around here and it seems to me they ran them in Michigan back in the day too. Even when they're designated "QH" they allow TBs to run. (Not sure how that works.) There are horses here--both QH and TB--that specialize in the distance. You might want to check the upcoming races.

The downside is Equibase doesn't count the wins, places or earnings in the TB horse's stats, but if that's not a major concern for the owner, it might be worth a shot.

Sounds like Miss Pinkerton ran her heart out for her 3rd too. Great effort and a very nice streak of wins and solid efforts from her.

We're really proud of Blazing Away's amazing turnaround this summer. At the time we claimed him in April, he hadn't won a race in a year and had finished dead last on a number of occasions. Since he went to Justin Evans' barn, he's had five outs with three wins, a third and a fourth. (He had a good excuse for the 4th. The temperature at the time of the race was about 101 and he led all the way into the stretch before losing steam and three other horses passed him. He just couldn't handle the high temps past 5f.)

We'll see how he does at Zia Park this fall. He's never won at the track before, but our trainer isn't concerned.

Laurie

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re:

Postby ZiaLand » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 pm

ZiaLand wrote:We'll see how he does at Zia Park this fall. He's never won at the track before, but our trainer isn't concerned.

I should have had more faith things would be different this time. Zinger (Blazing Away) won today going away, his first win over the Zia track. :D

It was a 5-1/2 furlong race and one of the horses he beat was a multiple stakes winner (he ran 3rd). We have been so blessed with this horse since we got him back, and hat's off to our trainer Justin Evans, his team for how beautifully they've brought him along, and jockey Luis Negron for some masterful rides.

Laurie