Starting to get excited

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Starting to get excited

Postby henthorn » Sun May 01, 2005 7:24 pm

My Alphabet Soup gelding who's been off since November (see thread Strategic Opportunity) is training forwardly; and he put in a bullet five furlong work handily at Lone Star today. The fastest three beat the other nineteen by at least a second for the five furlongs. He sure isn't one you'd pick out in a sale of racing prospects. He's knock-kneed, kinda goofy-looking, pretty ordinary to look at. But his exercise riders say his name suits him--Remote Control. They say he's very responsive and an easy traveler. Eligible for NW3L, or NW2X. And an Okie-bred will be fun to race at Remington Park, about 4 miles from my house.
Rocking H

BenB
Sophomore Sire

starting to get

Postby BenB » Tue May 03, 2005 10:55 am

Henthorn what do you mean by a 5 furlong bullet work, I read it on the board a lot
of times. Wishing he continues with his good works.

Ben

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Tue May 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Ben, a bullet work (or workout) is the fastest time of the day for all horses that worked that distance. So his time for 5 furlongs that morning was faster than all the others of all ages, sexes, and quality levels at the track that day. (Actually two horses shared the same "bullet" time that day.)

Workout times can be deceiving, because some horses are just running on their own, and others are being pushed by the jockey through voice encouragement, his hand, or a whip. That's why the time is accompanied by a description such as "handily", "breezing", and other terms that I can't remember.

Now we just wait for a race mid-May that suits him, and see how the afternoon or evening goes.
Rocking H