Funky Music

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Funky Music

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:50 pm

Hi All

The "Cover Girl" on my book, Funky Music (2003) by Defensive Play x Musical Kelly, made her first lifetime start today at Emerald Downs, Maiden Claiming at 4.5 furlongs PP #9. She got bumped hard at the break spotting the field at least 7 lengths. She was 10 to 12 lengths behind, in last place, half way down the back stretch. Turning for home she just exploded to win going away, paying $12.80, with "Booger" Mitchell aboard. Trained by Kathy Schenk, she will be even better when she stretches out. Her dam, who's pedigree is filled with good blue collar Northwest runners, was bred to Polish Gift this season.
This girl RNA'd at the WTBA sale last year. She was a real pro today.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

BenB
Sophomore Sire

funky music

Postby BenB » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:14 am

Bill, it,s incredible, amazingly.
Congratulations

Ben

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:52 am

Hi Guys,

Bill, congratulations to you and your "Cover Girl" Funky Music.
JimP
White Cat Farm
[email protected]

"the gene pool could use a little chlorine"

DanN
2yo Maiden

Postby DanN » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:47 am

Bill, I watched the race and she was impressive, Congrats, Do you think the Defensive plays are going to like to stretch out ? I have been told he was a late closer also.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:36 am

Hi Dan

I definitely think they will be best at the middle distances. Funky Music's conduit profile indicates that she will be best at the longer distances (8 to 9 furlongs). I realize that her win was in a lower level claiming race, but the manner in which she won makes me think she will move up in class successfully. I sought out and found her dam (Musical Kelly) partly because of her versatility as a runner (won sprinting and routing), and the conduit profile she presented, plus, many of her tail female ancestors are horses that I saw run at Longacres many years ago. I thought she might be a "diamond in the rough". Time will tell.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

mary syers
Allowance Winner

funky music

Postby mary syers » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:20 am

Bill,
Good to see someone practice what they preach. The conduit profile on Funky Music has got to be even better than the mare. Mary Syers

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:33 am

Hi Mary

The profile on Musical Kelly (the dam) is: 2-7-5-8-2 (0.94) Speed/Stamina (9/10) and triads (optimum racing distances: B+I+C/I+C+S/C+S+P) are 14-20-15.
Funky Music looks like this: 3-7-7-6-4 (0.95) Speed/Stamina (10/10) and triads of 17-20-17.

Bill

Langston Hughes

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Congrats, Bill. Gotta love those explosive finishes. Here's hoping there will be many more wins to come for the "cover girl".

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

PG29
Yearling

Postby PG29 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:21 pm

Very nice Bill. I saw the race as well and only hope she continues to move forward. That one in the oven by Polish Gift will be a fun one as well. If I have the time I want to go through and profile all the mares and their potential offspring to Polish Gift. I think the final count of mares bred to him this year was 49 so that would be a small book in itself.

Keep up the good work and good luck!!