Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fun project
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:10 pm 
Allowance Winner

I am well into the process of collecting articles from old newspaper archives (pay sites), and compiling a racing calendar for the years 1827 and 1828. I likely will synthesize the material from the 1829 Turf Register to include a compact listing for that year too. Prolly take me 3 or 4 more weeks during the holidays. It is amazing how much material was printed and saved via content-sharing among the newsies of the day.

In addition to the news archives, I will go through the Turf Registers and other early books to squeeze out whatever data can be gotten. The old stud ads and ATR "memoirs" are quite helpful to augment the base materials.

I have collected news articles going back to 1890. But racing calendars are pretty much impossible, once that you go back past 1824 or thereabout.

Post subject: Re: Fun project
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:31 pm 
Allowance Winner

Having a blast and learning a lot. I can't believe that someone hasn't tackled something like this before. Crickmore did a racing calendar retrospective of the Civil War years in 1901. But nothing comparable since, to my knowledge.

I will self-publish (for a nominal price) when I feel that the matter has been fully researched. I'm also thinking about going backward to 1824-26-ish.

Post subject: Re: Fun project
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 am 

Sounds fascinating. I was talking with a jock agent this morning who was recounting growing up the son of a jockey in New Orleans and running the circuit New Orleans-Miami-Cincinnati - back in the day River Downs apparently had crazy purse money.