Coat color translations/abbreviations

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

Miesque1973
2yo Maiden

Coat color translations/abbreviations

Postby Miesque1973 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 am

Does anybody have a source that would translate foreign abbreviations for coat colors?

I came across "sk" for a Hungarian-bred (Preri Mary, who apparently won the Hungarian 1000 Guineas in 2002), and for the life of me I can't figure out what "sk" might stand for. The few websites I've stumbled across were either unhelpful or incredibly unclear. As if a translation from Finnish to English to Hungarian wouldn't muddy things up even more. ;)

"sk" might be two separate word abbreviations, however, as the Hungarian website lists that term under 'sex/color'. So 's' and 'k' could mean two different things. Or not.

~Miesque
Friends don't let friends vote for Democrats.

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Re: Coat color translations/abbreviations

Postby Bettina » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:59 am

Hello, Miesque73
Maybe I can help you. Several years ago I discovered in the local State Library a Thoroughbred Stallionbook, published in 1912, printed in Hungarian/Germany.

Luckily there is a list of abbrevations of various horse related terms, including "coat colours".

(English) Bay= pej (Hungarian)
" Black= sötet
" Brown= sötetpej
" Grey= szürke
" Roan= tüzött

Hope I could help

regards, Bettina

MiesqueFan87
Newborn

Postby MiesqueFan87 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:30 am

This will help a great deal. Thank you! And I apologize for taking so long to even reply. I lost my password to the board and got locked out my Yahoo account, which which what I used to sign up in the first place (they wanted money to even reset the password--horrible customer service, that's for sure!). It took FOREVER to get everything realigned and running again.

~Miesque
Formerly Miesque1973 until Yahoo locked me out.

The Thoroughbred runs with his legs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.
~Federico Tesio

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 am

Hello, MiesqueFan,
many thanks for your reply after such along time, almost a year!

Sorry to read, you had enormous trouble to get back to the "Forums" of Pedigreequery.
regards, Bettina

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:14 am

Hello,
I was able to solve your the problem with the 'Coat Colour' abbrevations.

Hungarian= sk = Sarga kanca = (literally) yellow mare

Some weeks ago, I became acquanted with an Hungarian woman, who will an article about historical Horses/studs. I offered her some help with info. We recently meet, so I used the occasion to ask her about the meaning.

Hope I could help.

kind regards, Bettina

MiesqueFan87
Newborn

Postby MiesqueFan87 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:30 am

Bettina wrote:Hello,
I was able to solve your the problem with the 'Coat Colour' abbrevations.

Hungarian= sk = Sarga kanca = (literally) yellow mare

Some weeks ago, I became acquanted with an Hungarian woman, who will an article about historical Horses/studs. I offered her some help with info. We recently meet, so I used the occasion to ask her about the meaning.

Hope I could help.

kind regards, Bettina

Thanks

I'm currently working on a personal project tracing female lineages of classic winners in the US, England, Ireland, France & Germany, plus Jockey Club Gold Cup, Travers Stakes, King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, Breeders' Cup and Melbourne Cup winners. I've 'finished' the US, England & France and just started Germany. Mainly it's for my own info. As I go along and am I able to, I hopefully can update coat colors on a few horses involved if it's not the pedigree database. It's lots of work, but it keeps me out of trouble and it's never boring. :)

~Miesque
Formerly Miesque1973 until Yahoo locked me out.

The Thoroughbred runs with his legs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.
~Federico Tesio