"Abergwaun" Can anyone help ..

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

"Abergwaun" Can anyone help ..

Postby ireneinwa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:04 am

My broodmares 3rd dam. Want more info on her. Would like to see pic?

LaTroienne
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby LaTroienne » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:39 pm

More info.

The Birdcatcher Nursery has produced some fine winners over the years with legendary trainer Vincent O’Brien winning it on seven occasions beginning with Turbo Jet in 1962 and ending with Kyra in 1988. One of the best winners of the race was the Con Collins trained Abergwaun in 1970 as this one proved to be a top class sprinter in the next couple of seasons. Purchased to race for Vincent O’Brien at the end of his two year old career, Abergwaun went on to win the Rockingham Handicap at the Curragh and the Diadem Stakes at Ascot in 1971 while in 1972, he landed the Greenlands Stakes at the Curragh and the Sprint Cup at Haydock. Abergwaun raced on as a five year old with a notable success coming in the 1973 Kings Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot. However, the 1972 winner of the Birdcatcher Nursery was to become even more famous as the winner, Star Appeal, trained by John Oxx on the Curragh, ended up winning the Prix de l’Arc de Troimphe at Longchamp in 1975 for German trainer, Theo Grieper, thus becoming one of the longest priced winners of Europe’s premier race.

http://newsweaver.ie/h_r_i/e_article000 ... ?x=b11,0,w

If you wanted a photo, you could contact one of the tracks at which she won, such as the Curragh....

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks for info. Looking to see if anyone had a pic they could show me .That would be wonderful. Thanks again