"Fresh Prince" TB 2002

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

tryance
Newborn

"Fresh Prince" TB 2002

Postby tryance » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:07 pm

My daughter was given a TB this year. The owners have lost his registration papers but said his registered name is Fresh Prince. He came form Florida. They bought him in 2004 and thought he was 3 or 4 at the time (born in 2001).

I have done a search and if he is in fact Fresh Prince, he was born in 2002 instead. Fresh Prince also has a really nice blood line.

If anyone knows anything about Fresh Prince, please let me know. I really do think that is who we have but without papers, I may never really know for sure.

Here's a picture of our boy.
Last edited by tryance on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Whoever he is, that's a nice-looking boy. :D

The '02 Fresh Prince was foaled in Australia, which could account for confusion as to whether he's an '01 or '02. There's no evidence in North Am rcds. that he's been brought to the USA, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

There's also an Oklahoma-bred '02 chestnut Fresh Print x King of Scat - Media Spin x Tell.

tryance
Newborn

Postby tryance » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:06 pm

Australia? wow...I guess he isn't the pedigree I found then. Boy, this can be frustrating trying to find out who a horse is.

Thanks for your help! :) I'll just keep searching...

Maybe if anyone knows of any breeders in Florida that had a "Fresh Prince" that they sold to someone in TN about 4 years ago...
Our horse is between the age of 6-8.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:17 am

There is only one horse in the APR named Fresh Prince, and it is a 1989 model. As Pan Zareta said, there is a horse named Fresh Print born in 2002. There is also a gelding named French Prince, born in 2000, by French Deputy.

However, all of these raced so if your horse was a racehorse, he will have a lip tattoo. The lip tattoo is the only reliable method of determining what horse you have. The Jockey Club can look it up for you (there is a small fee).
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

tryance
Newborn

Postby tryance » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:00 pm

He was never trained to race and so doesn't have a tattoo in his lip. All I have to go on is his previous owners' (my trainers at our barn) recollection of his registration papers which they can not find now. His registered name is "Fresh Prince" (2000-2002??) but I am not sure which TB registry he is registered with. There are three or four different ones, right? He was folaed in FL or at least came from there. He isn't very old so I'd say he was foaled in FL at one of the 600 breeding TB facilities they have there. :shock:

He did come to them with registration papers though...just have no idea which organization and I feel I am reaching dead ends.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:40 am

tryance wrote:...but I am not sure which TB registry he is registered with. There are three or four different ones, right?

No, the only TB registry in the US is the Jockey Club, and he isn't registered with them under the name Fresh Prince. There are other breed, type, and performance registries that do accept JC-registered or (in some cases) unregistered TB's. FWIW, I checked the AQHA registry, and the only Fresh Prince therein is a 1990 brown stallion.

tryance
Newborn

Postby tryance » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:39 pm

JC isn't the only TB registry. Not all TB's are bred to race and trained to race. There is the Tb owners and breeders assoc. and the american tb horse registry and a couple more that I can't think of. He is full TB and is registered, just don't know which registry. There is a TB named Fresh Prince on this website that hasn't raced listed but it doesn't tell which registry he is with nor any information as to where he was foaled, etc. so I am not sure if that is him or not. My trainers said his sire and dam were bred from race horses but my horse was never trained to race so no tattoo.

I appreciate everyone's help with this! Still searching...
:)

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:05 pm

tryance wrote:JC isn't the only TB registry. Not all TB's are bred to race and trained to race. There is the Tb owners and breeders assoc. and the american tb horse registry and a couple more that I can't think of. He is full TB and is registered, just don't know which registry.

I'm sorry, but PZ's post was correct. The JC is the breed registry, and keeper of the American Stud Book, not strictly a racing organization - even sport-bred TB's would be registered with them. The Thoroughbred Owners & Breeders Assn. is an organization of horse owners, not a registry.

Even most sport TB organizations, such as the North American Thoroughbred Society "accepts thoroughbreds as defined and recognized by the Jockey Club", and do not register horses for breeding purposes.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:14 pm

He may have been JC registered at one point, but never named. Just given a barn and show name. So then it would be even harder to find him. And never being put in training, he never would have been tattooed.

But as long as he's a good horse, and good with your daughter. You have the best horse in the world. Pedigree doesn't mean a thing when your in love with your horse :)

p.s. The picture is great!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:29 pm

tryance wrote:JC isn't the only TB registry. Not all TB's are bred to race and trained to race. There is the Tb owners and breeders assoc. and the american tb horse registry and a couple more that I can't think of. He is full TB and is registered, just don't know which registry.

That is just not true. There is only one Thoroughbred registry in the US, the Jockey Club. TOBA is just an association for Thorouhbred owners and breeders. They do not register horses. There is no such thing as the American Thoroughbred Horse Registry. The only other TB registries are in other countries.

There is no registered Thoroughbred born in the US in the 2000-2002 timeframe named "Fresh Prince." There IS that gelding named French Prince, but he would have a lip tattoo. If your horse was born in Florida, he could ONLY be registered as a Thoroughbred with the American Jockey Club. The 2002 Fresh Prince in the database is by a stallion standing in Australia.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:32 pm

Oops.. we were all typing at the same time!

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:05 pm

tryance wrote: There is a TB named Fresh Prince on this website that hasn't raced listed but it doesn't tell which registry he is with nor any information as to where he was foaled, etc. so I am not sure if that is him or not.

Fresh Prince '02 x Beautiful Crown was foaled in Australia (a detail which I just added to his entry in the db here) entered in the Australian Stud Book, and was still on the track there as of this past August.

Perhaps it might help to contact whomever owned the horse prior to your trainer.