Hamburg Cemetery *Picture heavy!*

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

CountRaja
Maiden Special Weight

Hamburg Cemetery *Picture heavy!*

Postby CountRaja » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Thought it would be fun to post some pics of all the greats at Hamburgs Cemetery.

Last edited by CountRaja on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

CountRaja
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CountRaja » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Some more

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

CountRaja
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CountRaja » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:20 pm

and more

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for posting these! For reasons that I can't understand or explain, I love old thoroughbred horse grave sites.

John Madden had an impressive breeding and training operation 100 years ago. Preston did a good job of reviving the farm, but it seems like they've gotten more into real estate development. I notice there are houses behind the cemetery, is there much of the farm left?

CountRaja
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CountRaja » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:28 pm

There has been a lot of development around the area. Immediately behind me in these pictures is Lowes and Wal-Mart and across the busy street is housing developments. There is a good chunk of the farm left on the other side of the street there, but it is closed to visitors.

Tap The Mint
Yearling

Postby Tap The Mint » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks for posting the pictures. It's sad to see the farms being lost to the big developments but good to see that they have preserved the cemetery for the history of the great Thoroughbreds that were bred there.

Tap The Mint
Yearling

Postby Tap The Mint » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:42 am

Thanks for posting the pictures. It's sad to see the farms being lost to the big developments but good to see that they have preserved the cemetery for the history of the great Thoroughbreds that were bred there.

Princequillo
Newborn

Gravesites...

Postby Princequillo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Claiborne Farms gravesites. So many famous names here, it's stunning.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... f%26sa%3DN

starlitlaughter
Yearling

Postby starlitlaughter » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:17 am

I just ran across this post. I had actually tried looking for this cemetery the last time I was in Lexington, but no one in the area seemed to know of it's existence.

I am curious though, the cemetery is very small. Does anyone know how these horses were buried? Entire or? I know for a time there was the tradition of just burying the head, heart, and hooves; but some horses were interred whole. Today I see alot of cremations.