Indian Classics/Major Stakes

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

Miesque1973
2yo Maiden

Indian Classics/Major Stakes

Postby Miesque1973 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:50 pm

I've begged & pleaded with the Indian Stud Book Authority, but they apparently guard the histories of India's stakes races very, very diligently. Considering other countries (besides Belgium... don't get me started on Belgium) are only too happy to share whatever they can on the histories of their major stakes races, I'm getting discouraged about India.

I do have complete histories of the Indian 2000 Guineas, Indian Derby, Indian St. Leger, Indian 1000 Guineas & Indian Oaks. What I can't find are complete histories of the following:

Bangalore 2000 Guineas (run in January & December)
Bangalore Derby (February)
Derby Bangalore (July)
Bangalore St. Leger
Bangalore 1000 Guineas (run in January & November)
Bangalore Oaks

Golconda 2000 Guineas
Golconda Derby
Golconda St. Leger
Golconda 1000 Guineas
Golconda Oaks

Mysore 2000 Guineas
Mysore Derby
Mysore 1000 Guineas
(no St. Leger/Oaks...?)

Pune Derby
Deccan Derby

North India Derby

South India 2000 Guineas
South India Derby
South India St. Leger
South India 1000 Guineas
South India St. Leger

Nilgiris 2000 Guineas
Nilgiris Derby
Nilgiris 1000 Guineas
(no St. Leger/Oaks...?)

Calcutta 2000 Guineas
Calcutta Derby
Calcutta Monsoon Derby
Calcutta St. Leger
Calcutta 1000 Guineas
Calcutta Oaks

I know I've seen something called the Delhi Derby in the course of my searches. I'm not sure if there is a Hyderabad Derby.

Anyway. the contact I have with the Indian Stud Book Authority told me (to my utter astonishment and dismay) that they want $1770 US for a subscription to the website. I'm assuming he meant 1770 in Indian rupees (NIR...?), which at the current rate is about $30, but so far he has refused to answer that question, much less give me any direction whatsoever on how to set up a means of paying such a fee (the website is rather vague on the subject when it comes to subscribers outside India). Considering other contacts I've made in other countries have been only too happy to provide lists of classic winners (aside from Belgium, and while Kenya sent me complete lists, they apparently have no pedigree info available), India seems to consider the histories of their major stakes races to be something of a secret. Beats me. So... is anyone in on the secret? Does anyone have lists?

<sob>

~Miesque
Friends don't let friends vote for Democrats.

Miesque1973
2yo Maiden

Re: Indian Classics/Major Stakes

Postby Miesque1973 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Update:

I do have all the major Derby/Oaks/Guineas/St. Legers that were available from India (cost about $130), and entered what I could into the stakes database. Some pedigrees are elusive, though, but I figured it wasn't worth another begging session to get that info from the source in India. If anyone going through those races can update pedigree info, feel free! :D

~Miesque
Friends don't let friends vote for Democrats.