Devon Lane x Netta Gayle Bell (Slewvescent)

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Tammy.

It is tempting when I spend time with the filly to think, "Hmm. Should we hold out one more year?" But my next thought is always NO. There's been enough stress, heartbreak and financial loss to impact us for a lifetime in this little venture.

I'll always love talking Thoroughbreds...just don't think it was in the cards for us to be in this game to the level we were. Oh well, at least we can say we did it, gave it our best shot and tried to do things right. Sometimes bad luck just does you in.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:14 am

FOUR YEARS LATER...

Just wanted to follow up on this very old post about the last foal we produced before leaving the business.

This filly--named Sitiby You by the new owner--won a 6F Maiden Special Weight at Albuquerque Downs on September 17, 2012 by 3-1/2 lengths. It was only her second start and the first of 2012. She ran fourth in her first race in June 2011.

We were surprised when we pulled up her win photo to see she is no longer a pretty little bay, but a big gray, like her daddy.

Let's see if I remember how to do a link to the win photo:

http://www.coadyphotography.com/Store/ProductImages.aspx?n=Sitiby%20You%20-%20091712%20-%20Race%2006&width=600&height=500&imageId=43828

Her dam, Netta Gayle Belle (Slewvescent) died later in 2008 and Sitiby You is her only surviving foal. The filly's sire, Devon Lane (Storm Cat), passed away just this past spring.

If anyone can update her database with the win and show Rising Star Thoroughbreds, LLC as the breeder, I'd really appreciate it.

Laurie

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks so much to whoever updated the database.

We just had another surprise. A gelding from our last crop, also sired by Devon Lane and out of African Nights (Southern Halo)--another gray--had a win at Albuquerque on September 9th.

Here's the link to winner #2:

http://www.coadyphotography.com/Store/ProductImages.aspx?n=Stoney%20Stonestreet%20-%20090912%20-%20Race%2001&width=600&height=500&imageId=43413

And I'll stop now, because this thread is getting off topic. :)

Laurie

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Congratulations! The wins are so nice.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks, Docjocoy. Yes, we're feeling really good about these wins. :)

Laurie

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Laurie!!!

So good to hear from you - I've thought of you often. It is nice when they finally get to the track and start winning and you can collect some breeder's awards. It seems like a long hard road before that happens but when it does it at least lets you know in some small way you did okay :). Believe me I know and feel your pain. Getting out was really hard for us, although we still have Midnight Vader running, but not having the mares and foals on the farm was and continues to be tough for me. I miss them still but know that my health would not let me continue to be beat up and with hubby retiring we have actually been able to take some vacations this year which is what he wanted to do. Would not have been able to do that with a barn full of horses - they don't take vacations.

When I heard about Devon Lane passing, I immediately thought of you, as I remembered that you bred to him numerous times.

Thanks for updating us.

Keep in touch - my email and address is the same!

Cheryl
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Cheryl!

So glad to see you're still around. Wow, looks like Midnight Vader has done very well. I think if we ever get into the TB business again, it will be as owners and not breeders.

I know what you mean about the horses not taking a vacation. (We still have two but neither are TBs.) Our barn manager left a year ago so we've been doing all the chores ourselves since then, and it's so hard to get away.

I'll drop you a line or PM you.

Laurie

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:06 pm

I'll be waiting to hear from you Laurie!

Vader is running tomorrow night at Thistledowns in the 6th race. It is 6f which is NOT his preference but he's a mudder so we can hope for rain!
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett