Yearlings PHOTOS ADDED

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

clh
Grade I Winner

Yearlings PHOTOS ADDED

Postby clh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:08 am

Okay - wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to add my two cents in as far as the foaling of the sexes go ----

I have three yearling colts who have not been "schooled" yet by anyone but me - and "moi" knows squat about "schooling" yearlings. The lady who "schooled" Tallulah (the Toccet yearling) just foaled a colt herself in March so was in no condition to school these boys this winter. Anyhow .... I am able to lead them to and from the paddock, I am able to groom them and I am able to pick their feet. Only on rare occasions as two of them broken away while leading them (and the way we are set up there is no where for them to go as far as getting to a street unless they jump a fence - which of course all three of them have done - on the same day in different places of the fence). They have been reprimanded for pawing and striking out, for rearing up, for breaking away and for sneaking bites, which is the REAL issue. TODAY I GOT A BREAST REDUCTION ON ONE SIDE!!!

I am thinking if I don't sell this year's babies as weanlings, I'm hoping for fillies :P
Last edited by clh on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 am

:lol: I don't think a one sided breast reduction is a good thing.

Colts can certainly be more challenging than fillies. Which is why I call it brain surgery when they are gelded. My trick is to literally never take my eye off him. When I'm leading one, I uses the sales company hold - there is a shank around the head, and I am at the horse's left shoulder with my elbow stuck in behind the shoulder. I can dig the elbow when I need more "space" or forward movement. I have the "brakes" provided by the shank. And I am well back of biting range. They very soon get the hang of it, and a tug on the shank is usually punishment enough for infractions.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 pm

They are getting the chiffney bits now - which of course they do not like. I have trouble jamming my elbow into them hard enough to hurt as I've had shoulder surgery and can't jam hard enough :D

Think I'll stand on the other side and hope for a reduction on that side tomorrow :lol:

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm

lol, I suppose your idea (albeit painful) might be effective in regards to the lopsided breast reduction :lol:

Colts are definately cheeky buggers!! I have 12 to worry about and THANKfully they have been a blessing so far! However I have several fillies that I cannot find many kind descriptive words for lately! It is ironic that one filly in particular has turned into her full brother from a year ago. Spooky, loves to rear and takes great pleasure in trying to run backwards at 50 miles per hour :shock: She doesn't like our new training exercises with the dressage whip that pokes her in the a$$ every time she thinks of going backwards, she has decided that forward motion isn't half bad.

Have fun with your boys! Colts are more predictable I find. Fillies however are sneeky and tempermental. I love both sexes though :)
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Mood Swings - I've had yearling fillies and now these yearling colts and of the two - BRING THE FILLIES AND THEIR BITCHY BEHAVIOR ON! The Tapit filly and the Toccet filly were devils - they both would roll their eyes and you would see blood red if you were doing something to them that they didn't like but after a few lessons - they actually got it most of the time. Not these boys. HORMONES!!! If I wasn't going to try and sell them they'd be cut tomorrow :twisted:

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:38 am

Certainly glad both yearlings at my place are fillies!

Sunday Rider
Allowance Winner

Postby Sunday Rider » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:42 pm

AHHHHH....Sounds like "The Boys Of Summer Are Back';) I'm sooooooo happy we have 2 fillies;)

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:48 pm

clh - I take back my flattering comments about my colts :shock: My own two gave me the WORST f'n time this morning! I feel like the human version of Gumby, I think a few shots of some hard liquor and a nice hot bath will make me feel better tonight :lol:

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:13 pm

OMG! Be careful!!

We brought home Allou and the Invasor colt last night and shipped off Honor to have her foal and I thought the boys were going to tear down the barn!!! Literally tear down the barn. Climbing the walls, screaming, bucking, kicking....they wanted to see that baby or they wanted to kill that baby (or Allou is in heat and they wanted that mare :wink: ) Took them about two hours to finally settle down. I think they just kept seeing this little thing pop up and down over the top of the stall but couldn't see what it was for sure ---- Poor Mick (McCaskill/Suave colt sure slept good last night - I went to check on them about 1:00 am and he was flat out - didn't stir a bit when I came in the barn. All that stud behavior wore his arse out). They were all fine this morning with everyone. When the mare and foal went out this morning they screamed again for a while but eventually settled down. We'll see how tonight goes. They are being much better now - not angels mind you but better. We've brought in a guy who has worked with yearlings alot in the past and he's settled them down alot - plus we got a stallion lead - takes alot of pulling before they can get away from you with one of those :)

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Here they are (not the best shots in the world)

Trace - colt by Suave out Laird's Honor

Bratley - colt by Good Reward out of Allou (he so needs to learn to hold his head up!)

Mick - colt by Suave out of McCaskill

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:20 pm

I love the look of Trace!! Very nice kids :) Congrats!

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Now Mick's page has improved considerably, since his half sister just won a listed stake at Belmont Park. Congratulations again, clh.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:56 am

Yes, his page has improved, he has improved physically and he has matured mentally (thank goodness).

Bratley has grown leaps and bounds. He towers over these two boys now - we just need to "fill him out some more". Allou has always thrown late bloomers though.

Trace is more gorgeous than ever - and meaner than a freaking snake - talk about stallion behavior, talk about stubborn, talk about a pain in the rear - talk about counting days until September ...........

Talk about loving these boys and getting attached and going to miss them - yeh, I sure will.

However, I've got an Invasor colt that right now is a sweetheart and Tueflesburg colt (half to Trace - do we notice the resemblance here) who is rotten, rotten, rotten. I've never seen a baby so young that tries to bite the crap out of you the minute you walk in the stall - and mean business when he is doing it. Guess Vader and Damien will take these boy's place (nah...... )