Better late than never... AND..... DONE!

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Roguelet

Better late than never... AND..... DONE!

Postby Roguelet » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:55 am

I had a mare foal yesterday (at 2:30 PM) who was actually due on March 25th. She went one day over a full year. This was a maiden mare, and the poor thing just about wore herself out pushing. The foal actually got up before the mare did!

Anyway, she had a colt by Private Lap, and just like Private Lap, this boy is very dark all over with no white at all.
Last edited by Roguelet on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 am

Congratulations!

Poor mare! And poor you, having to wait all that time. I'd have been dying with impatientce. I'm glad it all turned out just right. :)

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:24 am

Oh good Lord ... that poor mare and poor you as well!

My maiden mare was due May 3rd and went early this morning. Upon hearing stories like yours, I was terrified that 30-40 days later I'd still be on Foal Watch and be like the other sleep deprived walking zombies out there.

Congrats on your foal. Im glad he finally made an appearance ... :wink:
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 am

You mean Beulah, right? Congrats!

Pics?

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

Over a year. Arrraghh. Just when I think I'm starting to figure things out with this whole breeding business. Big time congratulations and super kudos for your patience.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri May 01, 2009 4:01 am

One more of our overdue mares foaled this morning at 5:00 AM. She was due 4/16, so she only went 15 days over... 11 days away from going a full year. This mare red bagged on us last year (our first and hopefully last red bag ever) but everything went perfectly this year. This foal, also, was trying to get up while the cord was still attached and mom was still resting. Maybe this is a Private Lap foal trait...

OK, so now we have 4 more to go, three of which are currently overdue. :roll:

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 am

Congrats on another healthy foal!

Whatcha feeding those mares to make them go so long :wink:

tmqh
2yo Maiden

Postby tmqh » Fri May 01, 2009 6:07 am

I'm in the same boat you are. We've had 3 foals so far this year and all of them went at least a week overdue, some went 3 weeks. I currently have a mare that as of Sunday, will be a full 365 days. I lost one of my good mares this past Tuesday due to distocia. She presented red bag and we worked feverishly to get the foal out to no avail. She ended up passing away as the vets and I were working to get the foal out. Vet said it was the largest foal she has seen yet. It was a Greybeard foal. I am still very tore up about it, but realize it's part of having horses. It dosen't make it any easier. She was a grand girl and I felt guilty for putting her through it.

That leaves me with just two mares to go. I'll be at the Derby tomorrow and she'll probably decide to go then. I will have someone check on her perodically.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri May 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Omg Im starting to get worried. Im hearing alot about over due moms, and my mare hasnt foaled yet! Shes 340 today and she hasnt bagged up.
Karen

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri May 01, 2009 1:09 pm

340 days is right on time.. keep waiting.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri May 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Crystal, her body isnt right on time, that's what Im taking about. Im thinking that she s going to be late too.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed May 06, 2009 4:04 am

One more of our overdue mares foaled yesterday; 7:30 AM. She was due 4/25, so she went 10 days over. These mares are foaling closer and closer to their actual due dates now that the nicer weather is finally here.

We have 2 more that are overdue (one was due 4/26 and the other was due 4/28, so they aren't overdue by a whole lot yet) and one who is due 5/23.

joeangelo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby joeangelo » Wed May 06, 2009 6:22 pm

has E J foaled yet?

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 pm

joeangelo wrote:has E J foaled yet?

Nope; she's the one that was due 4/28. I've slept (sort of) in the recliner the past three nights watching her on the monitor though... I don't think it will be much longer. (I hope not anyway... I'm not getting much sleep.)

Vindicated
Allowance Winner

Postby Vindicated » Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 am

Does anyone else think this is odd?
I don't remember ever reading about, or talking too so many people having overdue mares?

Just a question here...are they overdue for the long side of the window (350 days) or over due for 340 days?

I am finding this strange as ALL of my family and friends that have had babies (of the human sort) in the last 12 months have gone 10-14 days over and were induced-so who knows how much longer they would have gone....
Now horses are usually easier to figure out a conception date IMO-and I disagree with human due dates-but perhaps there is a corrolation? Something in the environment?

Anyone else finding this odd?