Getting Anxious

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

kybred
Weanling

Getting Anxious

Postby kybred » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:49 am

I am expecting my first foal - ever! The mare is a maiden and her due date was 4/20. She has bagged up but there is no sign of colustrum (waxing). What percentage of mares wax up? I have noted she is suddenly not interested in eating her grain and when she was out yesterday, she kept to herself and walked away if another horse approached her. Her vulva is elongated and the tail muscles are relaxed, with an indent on each side (this is a change from yesterday). I am suffering from sleep deprivation and not working with a full deck. I am so grateful for this forum. I have been lurking here, reading about all of your wonderful new colts and fillies, with ENVY. They are all stunning.
My mare is at home with me so I don't have anyone with experience on hand. I am starting to wonder if I am crazy to try this on my own. Am I nuts?
My vet is less than 10 minutes away. I have read several books on foaling AND I read this book to my mare, as well. I think I need to review the chapter on gestational period with the mare again.
I have my foal box packed (I learned from this forum, thank you) and I now live in the barn. I would appreciate any last minute words of wisdom you all may have for me.
Again, am I nuts???

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:17 am

No, not nuts. I wouldn't let a maiden mare foal out unattended either. Most mares foal at night. Maidens usually run on time, though. Got any fescue around?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:30 am

Sounds like she's getting close. With any luck, you'll have a foal before the weekend is over. Good luck!
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

kybred
Weanling

no fescue

Postby kybred » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:36 am

I had my property inspected back in September, for fescue. None was found. She is making grunting sounds now. I think she's gonna go right now. This is sooo exciting.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:43 am

I see you're in KY... aren't bad storms coming through today? Yeah... she's probably going to foal right in the middle of that. :)

"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:18 am

Good luck kybred! I hope everything goes uneventfully.

And in case she decides not to foal just yet, I wouldn't worry at all about her being 4 days "overdue". 340 is just a guideline, and it's not unusual for maiden mares to go either early or late. Fwiw, all of our mares foaled late this year.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:29 am

Best of luck!!! :)
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Sunday Rider
Allowance Winner

Postby Sunday Rider » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm

Hang in there, sounds like you've taken all the right steps :) Now it's up to your mare :)