JUDITH WILD RUSH first foal

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

JUDITH WILD RUSH first foal

Postby Jenny » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 am

Finally JUDITH WILD RUSH first foal has hit the ground. A gorgeous colt born last night. I will post pics when I get some. :D

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: JUDITH WILD RUSH first foal

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Jenny wrote:Finally JUDITH WILD RUSH first foal has hit the ground. A gorgeous colt born last night. I will post pics when I get some. :D

Congratulations!!!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 am

Congratulations!
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 am

Congrats guys!!!
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Congrats! Some pics would be super!
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Is it grey?

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 am

Sorry guys no picks yet it was not born at Stonebriar it was born somewhere else,we have not had time to go and see him yet,we are waiting for the lady up there to e mail us some pictures She did say however that if it were her foal she would be very pleased.I think that is very kind of her to say as she see hundreds borne every year.
All gave some,
some gave all

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 pm

The owners were so impressed they have since sent down another two mares both gray.
We had our own foal last week he was born early because his mom was colicky and the decision was made to induce her.
He is jet black right now with silver running through his coat.Unfortunately his mother had to be euthanized so he is an orphan.We have been feeding him every hour at first now every two.He is just like his dad in every way.We have been getting advice from a lady that is a nutritionist for one of the feed company's, needless to say it is very tiring especially through the night.Any advice would be welcome we have never encountered any thing like this before.He is wearing a large dog blanket right now with a belly strap the weather has not helped any here in Ontario wet and cold.Any way guys your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated would really like this little fellow to make it after all the hard work the Vets put in to save his life,they were not even sure he was alive so he is a fighter.
All gave some,

some gave all

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, Shirley. I once raised an orphan foal-his mother prolapsed and died. We milked out the mare and got all the colostrum we could, and then fed him goat's milk. We used a pop bottle with a lamb nipple on it, and had the milk 'just' warm. Every hour at the start, two hours during the night, and then after the first week, we did every three hours. After week two, we taught him to drink from a pail, and had to wean him at one month, as he was getting too fat. LOL

Hope all goes well for the little fellow, and will keep you in my thoughts.

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks Maureen,thing is where do you get goat milk? he is on foal formula,we managed to get the colostrum from his mum and thank God James had some frozen that he gave to us.
we tried to put the pony with him today but did not go to well so we moved her out again,he was a bit afraid of her.
I feel so sorry for him he is so adorable he nickers for us when we go in the barn.James wants us to get him drinking out of a bucket as soon as possible,hopefully next week.
All gave some,

some gave all

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Sometimes you can actually get a doe and teach the foal to nurse from her, or you might be able to find a milk producer in your area that you could buy some milk from. I know that this is illegal for human consumption, but I would think that for animal use you could probably get around that issue. :wink:

If you like, I can see who our shippers are that are close to you, otherwise, there are quite a few healthfood stores in the Niagara area that sell our milk, or some of the major supermarkets also carry our product. You can buy the milk in 1L cartons or 4L bags.

Let me know!

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:39 pm

we have changed his formula from foalac to something else the lady from masterfeeds bought it to the farm at 1 am this morning.He is devouring it I guess i am a tad impatient and to much of a worry wart.
Stupid question but can you give them to much?as we are not timing him we just make more and give it to him.
We are getting a mini horse off a friend so we will try that.I will post some pics when he is a bit older and you will see how lovely he is sporting his burgundy blanket,at least he won't be unfamiliar with people and blankets ect.thanks again Maureen for your suggestions.
All gave some,

some gave all

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Look up foal igloo... that's been a life saver for some people.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your orphan.

The best thing you can do is find a nurse mare. But that can be difficult and expensive. Carson's farm has nursemares available, but I believe they are pretty pricey. You might be able to luck out and find a mare that has lost a foal, and graft your foal onto her.

Standardbred Canada has a list of names that can be contacted when searching for a nursemare.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/content/nurse-mare-program.html

Alternatively, you may also be able to induce a non pregnant mare into lactating. http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/aaepresort/2006/Daels1.pdf

Raising an orphan by hand can be tricky as well. Too much human interaction can produce a socially backwards foal that will be difficult to handle for the rest of its life.

You can either bucket feed it, or bottle feed it. Here is a good tip on raising an orphan using a cooler, that will keep your formula from spoiling, and allow your foal to choose when it wants to drink and minimizes human influence.

http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com/Orphan_foal.doc

Hope this helps.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks K~2 like the igloo idea,at this time we only have pregnant mares and ones going to the track,go figure
I printed the article and will be looking for the cooler and parts tomorrow.
We have been told by the vet to keep him in his stall for two weeks,how long before you know if his social skills are alright?
I push him back at the chest if he tries to crowd me as i don't want him to be a nut bar,he is pretty quick with his back leg's has already tried to kick me.He has pellets in his bucket we see his head in there so i am presuming he is nibbling.
Wish i had Faith right now as she would take any body's foal on she used to steal them away from their mums.
All gave some,

some gave all