HEEEEEEEE'S HERE!!!!

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks, he is the apple of my eye and yup he knows it. For some odd ball reason I always have good luck with colts when I can be around them from a very young age, and so far Envy is leaps and bounds above any before him in his attitude. But alas he is still young..... though I think I have him thinking he's as close to a human as a horse can get. He tries to drink my ice tea through my straw. He likes to take my rake away while I am cleaning the stalls even though I tell him without an opposable thumb it's useless, letting me know it's grooming time by picking up the brush and dropping it repeatedly, and so very oddly does the same thing my filly that I lost as a 3 year old did. I left a lunge whip on the ground only to look behind me and see him standing very proudly with it clenched in his teeth nodding his head as if he is the ring master. Obviously I forgot to tell him he's a horse lol! :wink:
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:27 am

Well it's been awhile but in case anyone is interested like me to see how these foals develop I will add a few photos. I have had the best time with this colt and so far he has been a dream. I am not quite sure what the future holds but when I see him leading the pack over his older and pretty quick counterparts I am absolutely ecstatic for what comes next.
December 23, 2011and yes he was embarrassed with my addition of Christmas bows!

As usual leading the rest Feb 27, 2012 through mudhell, SE Va has gotten way way too much rain.

March 9, 2012 giving love as usual.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 am

Okay kiddo, you finally have me beat - I never put ribbons in my horses or foals/colts/fillies manes :lol: He is still a very nice looking colt though ;).
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

good looking - seems to have developed well. He's was growing so fast, were there any problems?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Amazing how fast they grow. Thanks for sharing..

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Hahaha well I didn't put his St. Patricks Day or Easter photos up so ribbons for Christmas were just the begining lol!
He is a monster, I honestly have no clue where this size comes from. And I am usually the one at the sales saying how horrible these huge babies are and how it's not natural. I will shut up now, because I can guarantee he has not once received anything special other than Grow Colt feed supplement the first 5 months and I doubt that is some miracle in a pail. He just sticked today at 15.3 withers, 16.1 rump :shock: The dam is 15.3 and the sire 16.2. Knock on wood, no problems so far. I had a wee bit of a scare because I heard a wheezing sound when he was putting his head down to eat starting around 6 months to 9 months.Never exhibited breathing problems at exercise so I was befuddled. Had him scoped and it was decided that he suffered from shortneckasitis, lol, literally his legs were so long that craning down to eat put some pressure on his trachea hence the noise. I was beside myself thinking the worst, but I am so fiercely protective of him I always do. :roll: Now at a year old his neck and face have lengthened out enough that there is no noise whilst he munches down. I am going to try and set him up for some much better conformation pics to post here. His movement is 10 times better than any horse I have seen at liberty. The poor guy has been chased since about a month old by the bats he lives with and has managed to outrun all of them with ease, and there are times they are chasing to maim not play. Not so much anymore as I think he has earned a notch in the herd that all of them accept him.
I have already tacked him completely and only because every time I put the tack down after working the 3 year old , Envy is there grabbing the bit in his mouth or dragging the whole damn saddle by the girth in his teeth through the field. So I figured if he wanted to I'd go with it and he took it like it was second nature. I know a lot of people think I am a nut, I am because I probably treat these horses better than most people treat each other, but this colt is beyond any wish I dreamed for after I lost my filly Spex. So we will see where it takes us. I always felt like Spex was too special for me to have gotten as my first horse getting into the game, and now he has me feeling 100 times that. Time will tell but if he matures into half the horse I think he will, I could never own another horse again and know no other one would come close for me.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:14 am

Thank goodness I didn't have to see him in his Easter bonnet :lol: !

Sounds like love for sure spex. Can't wait to see more pictures of him!

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Tue May 15, 2012 9:31 am

Not great but most recent pics. I left out him in his rabbit ears for Easter lol!! Feel free to critique as sometimes a mother is blind to her child's faults !!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... ad65f8c325

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue May 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Spex he looks great! I have to admit that you win the prize on spoiling the babes! I thought and was long told I spoiled my foals rotten but I'm afraid, you have even me beat (and that is saying a lot!). You go girl!!!
Thanks for sharing those - they made me smile!

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Wed May 16, 2012 10:06 am

:oops Thanks clh he is pretty special, and I will be the first to tell you I am not a highly religious person, but he is an answered prayer! I just wish they would bring back the yearling futurity show they used to do as I would love to see how he stacks up against his other VA bred yearling counterparts. I have spoiled the beegeesus out of him and I found out when I separated his dam from him how much so. He ran to me :shock: ! So either he trusts me beyond belief or I look like his mother.....hmmmm lol! One day I will get around to actually doing proper conformation shots.....one day !!!

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed May 16, 2012 4:18 pm

That's okay, I used to sit in the stall and Vader would lay down and put his head on my lap and go to sleep. He seems to be doing okay at the racetrack so I don't think it bothered him too much to be spoiled ;).

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Well I am throwing the gauntlet down clh, did your horses smile when they rested in your lap??? Well did they?? lmao...... :lol:

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 am

No spex, he just snuggled and snored ;). That picture should be framed :lol: