New filly......new confirmation fault for me

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

oleos93
Allowance Winner

New filly......new confirmation fault for me

Postby oleos93 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:04 am

Our first filly of the season just arrived 2 hrs ago and she is my first to have what some call a confirmation issue or fault. She has very very long cannon bones and pasterns in all 4 feet. Her hind fetlocks are touching the ground every other step/wobble.

I know all about the different opinions on if they grow out of it or if they are limited to certain disciplines etc etc.....but one does not really think much until it happens to them.

So in hopes to make me feel better I am looking for some stories, if any, on anyone that may have had a great out come with the same situation, and what you may have done to help.....I guess the bad out comes too. You have to have the bad in this industry. So fire away please.

hah480
Weanling

Postby hah480 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

if you have any idea of how the dam/sire developed that may shed some light, or previous foals from this mare

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:32 pm

I do know on both sire and dame and both where fine. I am the breeder of the stud and he came out great. I have 2 foals out of same sire and where fine and the mare has had many and where fine.

But the foal has started to straighten and should be fine.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Long cannons are probably forever. pasterns should straighten up.