OTTB Needs home by Thursday, Nov. 11th.-Delaware Race Park

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

OTTB Needs home by Thursday, Nov. 11th.-Delaware Race Park

Postby Marli » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:40 am

Just got a phone call for another listing (Exceller Fund Org., - Trainers Horses for Sale) and this young fella is located at Delaware Race Park. Contact was told he needs to be GONE by this Thursday, Nov. 11th, or there would be a trip to a not so nice sale in store for him as the owner is leaving for Tampa and he will not take him. He's a 5 y/o Dark Bay Gelding (not sure if he's got any white), stands at 16 hands, Registered name is Sick (terrible name!). Contact stated that he does have an old ankle but has been running sound on it and would make a wonderful pleasure mount for someone. Nice quiet & kind temperment, easy to work around and handle. He is offered for FREE. Time is of the essence of course, so please ask around to anyone that may be searching for a nice young prospect.

Here's his ad and contact info-

http://exforg.proboards32.com/index.cgi ... 1099836289

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:05 am

marli let me know if he is not placed by the 10th, I could probably take him

thanks
madelyn

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:33 pm

Madelyn,

Sure thing! :) Mid-Atlantic CANTER can take him but of course, locating a private home is always better - there's always another in need!

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:43 pm

Marli,

I checked with the Jockey Club and the APR. There is no registered TB named Sick. Could it possibly be spelled differently? Is he from another country? Is it a partial name or a "nickname"?

BJ

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:55 pm

I just put another call into Stacy as I'm not getting anything on that name either. I know when she told me I asked again and she repeated what I heard as 'Sick' and jokingly said what a horrible name! I just checked and there are 2 'Stick' horses but neither are the right age (this one's a 5 y/o). Not sure what else it could have been! Geesh!!

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:55 pm

Check out Sik. Is that your boy? 1998 though....would make him 6, not 5. Info also says he's a horse, not a gelding, but may be old information.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:16 pm

THANKS Zialand - Yep, that's him! The contact told me the owner is Canadian and there's actually a pic of him entered for his pedigree. I'll have to make the correction w/his name and age! THANKS again!! :)

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:52 pm

UPDATE- This fella has just arrived to his new home in MD. Here's the report from the new owner! Many, many thanks to all those that expressed an interest in this fella! Great report! :) :)

--------------------------------------
He's home safe and sound ... Went onto the trailer like a champ and looked for my seemingly never ending supply of peppermints and rounders ... We plan on calling him Cisco, just not sure of the spelling yet ... Stacy was amazing and his trainer is a gem ... I will get you guys pictures tomorrow when he experiences his first turnout in quite awhile ...

I'm gonna work on his ankle but he is definately sound on it ... Gonna get it to tighten up some ... Oh, and if he's 16hands, I shrunk ... I'd say he's gotta be close to 16.2, but than again, he may just be good at puffing up ... Did great on his ride home, backed out like a champ and walked around ... Within 2 minutes he was nibbling on grass and getting those pesky head itches taken care of on my back ... Thought u guys would like to know

Marli, I'm going to PT you my 2 emails and contact information ... If you could pass onto Stacy so she can email me with her contact info/email address as I promised to keep in touch and send her pictures ... Now to work on his own file so I can keep his trainer's information handy to keep him UTD as well ... Wonderful people to deal with and you could tell they really care ...

~!~ Ten ~!~

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:06 pm

Great news Marli :!: You sure are good at diggin' up good people :!:

Best Wishes to "Cisco" & his new connections for a truly happily ever after!!! :D :!: :!: :!:

Special thanks to his former connections for doing the right thing :!: :!: Way to go :!:

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:59 am

Hey BJ-

Sure made it a heck of alot easier when there's more than the 'normal' 48 hrs. notice! :shock:

When there's time to get the plea out, there is always the response of really GOOD people to step up to take an animal. Thank goodness for the internet!!! ;)

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:05 am

Marli wrote:Hey BJ-

Sure made it a heck of alot easier when there's more than the 'normal' 48 hrs. notice! :shock: When there's time to get the plea out, there is always the response of really GOOD people to step up to take an animal. Thank goodness for the internet!!! ;)

Hmm...Marli...MAYBE that's where the rescue orgs should be concentrating their lobbying. IF, the ultimate goal of getting rid slaughter of horses in U.S. is perhaps a ways off right now, MAYBE...the immediate goal SHOULD BE to get the TIMING from kill pen to slaughter EXTENDED, BY LAW, to allow the rescue orgs more opportunity to save these horses. I THINK most people would BACK THAT CAUSE. Even some of the scumbag politicians :evil: :evil: (oops...did I call politicians scumbags? :shock: )

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:21 pm

BJ, although I personally find the act repulsive, I usually find myself more aligned with the pro-slaughter rationale. While it pains me considerably to think that slaughter may befall any horse I have been connected with, I have yet to be convinced the practice should be illegal.

Having said the above, I would completely support your thoughts concerning timing. Of course, a couple roadblocks come to mind... first, enforcement, and second, the treatment of the animal in the "waiting" period.

I think you are on the right track. Additionally, I cannot see how anyone could possibly have a problem with a waiting period... if the roadblocks could be addressed.

I also find myself somewhat bewildered why this hasn't been mentioned before.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:03 am

BJ - KAL,

To my knowledge there are no laws that prevent any meatman (with killpen holding facility) from shipping horses according to their trucking schedule. Interesting proposition for sure! My experience here in NY based on what I've seen is that the horses are contained until 'full' shipments can be done. On those weeks (very rare) when minimal amounts are brought in, they are held until anywhere from a few days or week until horses are brought in from other sales to reach the objective of a full load.

Could any law be proposed to insist on a certain time-frame, good question. I will say that my acquaintance w/the meatman here is one of good repor. He will and already has cooperated in holding a horse(s) at different times until shipping arrangements could be met, typically a few days, in one instance, a week. For that instance where it was a week, he charged 50.00 to feed the horse during that time.

Unfortunately, this is just an example of the one here in NY - will others/do others throughout the country permit this, I don't know. There is a feedlot in Washington State that we (the Exceller Fund) have been taking horses from (TB's) and in that instance, the owner of the feedlot does permit volunteers to photograph and place on the net those that are in need of homes the soonest - some have been purchased, but of course, there are many, many others that do not find a home. And to make matters worse with this particular feedlot is that the owner doesn't have to attend auctions to purchase horses, these horses are dropped off by their OWNERS. :shock:

Link-

http://www.columbiabasinequinerescue.or ... orses.html

From East to West, North and South, it's an ongoing battle. There was a news article just this past week, seems an illegal slaughterhouse was in operation in the suburbs of Philly-

http://kyw.com/special/local_story_309231552.html

Can you imagine? This place was selling and giving horseflesh to the homeless and elderly! One can only wonder what drugs may have been present in the meat???