Racing/Broodmare prospect by You and I

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Racing/Broodmare prospect by You and I

Postby Denise » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:58 am

She's our 4yo. race filly, One and Only You (You and I-Joy Valentine, by Shadeed.) She's won on the dirt, but has shown better foot on the turf.
This filly's a PA-bred who's won twice and finished 2nd twice, from a very nice female family. Her dam was stakes placed, had 4 winners from 5 starters (6 foals: there's a 2yo. by Devil His Due who hasn't started yet), and You's half sister, Run for Joy (Geiger Counter), won over $400K and was also a stakes winner. Run for Joy is in foal to Stephen Got Even. Another half sister, Gone to Greece (Unaccounted For) is in foal to E Dubai. Their big brother, Miles Ahead, is still racing, primarily over jumps, and another sister, Pleasant Pastures (Valley Crossing) is also still racing.
If anyone knows of anyone interested in You and I mares, or mares from this female family, please email me.

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:40 am

Hi Denise,

Is she still racing or retired? Would like any details to pass on to a friend.
How much are you asking for her?

JimP

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Hi Jim

Postby Denise » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:20 am

She's still racing. Just yesterday, she got a terrible trip in a nice long race (starter allowance) at Philly. The jockey was cursing himself when he came back. Like many good turf horses, she has a nice closing kick coming from off the pace. Trouble was, he put her in behind the cheap speed on the rail and she had to check horribly when she was full of run. Had no chance to win, might have gotten up for third. In against some hard-knocking horses. Anyway, she came back fine. Couldn't have blown out a candle after a mile and 3/8ths.
The lowest tag we've run her for is $10K, in order to qualify her for some starters like yesterday. We would continue to race her through the fall turf season (ends around early Nov. here in the mid-Atlantic), but if someone steps up and shows interest, the partners will consider a reasonable offer. Otherwise, we may have to put her in the Dec. mixed sale at Timonium.
Let me know if there's interest and thanks for replying.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:15 pm

What is the price? Quote a price please..

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

You and I filly

Postby Denise » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:27 am

If we've run her for $10K, then she's for sale for that.

quickhorse
Weanling

Postby quickhorse » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:59 pm

Nice attitude toward someone who showed interest in your horse. $10,000 price seems a bit high. She barely won for NW2L at Penn National for that tag. Maybe you should run her for NW3L for $4,000 and you can sell her for that.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:06 pm

Considering her dam is stakes placed, she has a stakes winning 1/2 sister (1996) who is an earner of $400K, the 97 foal earned $200k, the 98 foal has earned 150K thru 12-31-03 and was a 150k yearling (AND SO ON) I would say

1) if they want to put a $10k price on their filly, well its THEIR horse.

and

2) well, I am going to bite my tongue and not tell you what my second thought was. They say discretion is the better part of valor. :roll:

coolzone
Newborn

Postby coolzone » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:14 pm

Frankly, I thought the seller's attitude was a bit snippy myself.Just because a horse has run for a certain tag doesn't mean that that is the asking price.The seller never did quote a price in the begining.I was also wondering what the price was but I guess I needn't inquire now.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:28 am

Eligible for NW-3 and shes in a Starter Allowance. HHmmm makes you wonder why she didnt go after NW3 and NW-4 at Penn National and then maybe try a starter allowance.

st. louis kid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby st. louis kid » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:17 pm

i would be interested in talking to you about this mare, can you email me a phone number. thank you.

st. louis kid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby st. louis kid » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:19 pm

sorry, my email address is [email protected]

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:28 pm

As a frequent purchaser at the Dec Mixed sale at Timonium, I don't think this filly (as well bred as she is) will bring $10,000. You would have a better chance in the Feb Timonium sale...its just before the start of the breeding season and usually has fewer horses selling. The Dec. mixed has more buyers looking for infoal mares and weanlings than maiden/open mares.

Good luck

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Thanks for your input

Postby Denise » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:00 pm

Gerry, thanks for the input re: Timonium. I'll pass it along to the partners. Like you, we've bought weanlings, etc. at the Dec. sale, and we'll definitely look at Feb. as an option for an open mare. Our original idea was based more on getting her ready earlier so she could be bred sooner in '05. Sometimes, it takes a while for maidens to catch.
Jessi P., appreciate your comments. We think the filly, based on her family, is certainly worth the tags at which we're running her. Just FYI, she's in again at Philly Tuesday, but it's likely it will get washed off the turf.
St. Louis, I'll email you.

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:52 pm

Denise, it sure looks like Jeanne will dump in Philly sometime Monday or Tuesday. I am afraid also for a Wednesday race at Belmont where our turf horse is slated to run. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well as us...

Your filly's half brother, Miles Away, has been a solid performer, earning over $200K both over jumps and on the flat. I saw him win a steeplechase at Saratoga this year for trainer Jonathan Sheppard.

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Hey Monicabee

Postby Denise » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:23 am

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you at Belmont, too. What's your horse's name?
Jeanne may swing east and offshore south of us, minimizing the rainfall in the DelMarva area a bit. We'll see. We also have one in at Pimlico on Thursday, so I hope that doesn't get too pounded tomorrow either.
Tough being a turf horse owner, isn't it?
Miles Ahead is a nice jumping horse, isn't he? They also have a very sweet 2yo. baby sister by Devil His Due who's in training right now. And Devil His Due is a very hot sire these days. I don't know her registered name but will find out.