Preacherman filly question

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Preacherman filly question

Postby skeenan » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:41 pm

A neighbor took in 2 off-the-track TBs he's selling: Red Logan, 1998 gelding and Preacher Joyce, 2000 filly. Both need a little more weight (why he ended up with them), but otherwise both appear to be nice-looking horses, esp. the gelding. He's a nice bright bay.

My husband talked with him yesterday- he said he'd probably take $200 for the gelding (who I thought had a better pedigree) and that a friend researched the filly's pedigree for him and that he was going to ask $20,000 for her, as a broodmare prospect. I realize it's his business what he wants to sell her for and I'm not openly criticizing him here... but I had looked up both horses' pedigrees. I was interested in the filly's breeding, as I knew he was going to sell them. I thought she had an "average" pedigree- by that, I mean compared to any of the CANTER-listed fillies I've researched- not bad, but not outstanding.

... did I miss something in her pedigree...?!?! If so, I'm going to throw out everything I've tried learning about pedigrees and find a new hobby! :?

Anyone care to enlighten me?

And if anyone is interested in the gelding, let me know and I'll pass along the info... both are in NH.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:28 pm

The filly is worth about the same as the gelding, if they are reasonably tall, clean and sound, sane, etc. The filly has nothing in her family to suggest "broodmare prospect".

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:52 am

Thanks for the reply- that's pretty much what I thought as well.

I only wanted to post the info to see if I'm getting the hang of assessing a pedigree "at a glance". I've spent a lot of time researching sales lists, different stallions, looking up a bazillion pedigrees and reading a lot of forum postings concerning different horses, bloodlines, etc. I'm glad to get the feedback from more experienced members... I feel like I'm actually learning something! :D

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:05 am

You're welcome... Rather than just the pedigree "at a glance" I researched the filly's damline and you have to go back pretty far to find anything of note, which is One Thing, the other is that she is a young maiden mare, and it takes quite a bit of investment to get anything out of them.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:04 am

My "at a glance" approach is to look at 5 things quickly- I look at the numbers (DI, CD, GSV), sire/grandsire, dam/broodmare sire, filly's race record & tail-female line... what I noticed right away was: she doesn't have a race record to speak of, her sire isn't a top "commercially appealing" stallion, (Deputy Minister is #98 on the top sire list- I'm not knocking him, but to me it's not like seeing Storm Cat, for example). Her dam didn't seem too bad (has some winnings), but her granddam is unraced- I'd have to research both. Only 16 chef-de-races and a GSV in the low 60's.

So overall, that's why her pedigree looked "average" to me... nothing stood out. When I see a pedigree where one or more factors looks promising, then I do some more research...