Deputy Minister stallion prospect

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Michael
Allowance Winner

Deputy Minister stallion prospect

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:35 pm

I own a nice son of Deputy Minister that I would like to offer as a stallion prospect.

HIGH COMMISSIONER, chestnut, 1998, Deputy Minister-Blue Moonlight, by Mining. Grade 2 placed winner of $150,000. $650,000 Keeneland yearling. 16.1 hands plus--very atrractive horse built on the mold of Dehere. Ridgling--like many sons of Deputy Minister. His dam was a very fast SW in California at 6-7 furlongs, and placed in Las Virgenes S.-G1. Strong female family.

Located in Lexington, inspection by appointment.

Please drop me an email at [email protected], or call me at 530-271-7385 if you are interested. Commissions paid to agents; serious inquiries only, please. This horse has not been shopped around and I would prefer to keep it that way!

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

Postby Inthe951 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:20 pm

Ridgling-- What does that mean?
thanks ahead of time
-meg
-Meg

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:06 pm

Also known as a crypt orchid... a retained testicle in the inguinal canal (usually). My question would be potency/sperm quality. Having a testicle retained can adversly effect the sperm cells because temperature cannot be regulated by normal means.
Michael, have you had his semen evaluated? If so, what did you find?

sb
Allowance Winner

Postby sb » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:24 pm

a crypt orchid... a retained testicle in the inguinal canal (usually).

Yes, but the testicle can also be anywhere in the body cavity which then needs to be retrieved and removed as it has a tendency to becom cancerous. Removing it from the inguinal canal is easy, relatively speaking. With today's ultrasound technology, the testicle can be located in the body cavity and then removed either surgically [general aenestesia] or through a speical abdominal procedure I forgotten the name of. In either case, it is somewhat costly. If I remember well, AP Indy is a mono-crypto as well, so apparently, it doesn't affect fertility, but a sperm test or test mating would be in order.

Sabine

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:15 am

The horse hasn't been test bred or collected, so I don't have any numbers.

Many successful stallions--including Seattle Slew, Lyphard, Capote and dozens of others--are ridglings. I'm told that Deputy Minister has thrown a number of rigs and that they have thrived as stallions. His one descended testicle is quite large so I have little doubt that the horse will be normal. At the same time, some stallions with two normal appearing testicles can be as sterile as the Sahara Desert, e.g. Cigar.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:41 pm

Michael, have you decided where to stand this guy?