Going to Keeneland

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Going to Keeneland

Postby tbrace » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:13 pm

We will be at Keeneland January, to look at yearlings. Does anyone have any we should look at? Could pinhook, or race. Probably up to around $40,000 for this sale.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:45 pm

I am really trying to talk a client of mine to send me Kentucky for that sale.I am just hoping old jolly Saint Nick puts a return ticket under the tree!And a cashiers check as well!
Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Keeneland

Postby tbrace » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:20 am

Reyeno,

Tell that client to cut loose! It is cold, but a beautiful time of year there. Lots of great horses, too. Hope you get to go.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:32 am

I am waiting for my books to show up in the mail and If I find one i can sell him on ,you never know.My good friend went to the Sept yearling sale and loved it their,recommended I go.
Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:34 pm

Okay... gotta' self promote sometime...

Ryeno, you can look up just about anything you wish to know, fairly quickly via Keeneland's website and on-line catalogue.

I'll preface my remarks by saying that we have not scoped or x-rayed any of our three weanlings, yet. I will tell you that none have ever had any type of invasive or corrective surgery. In fact, none have ever even had a suture (unless it happened in the first 3 months of their life, before they shipped to us). I bred all 3, put the matings together myself, and would be happy to share my reasons if asked. I'll also be happy to provide what they were fed while here with us, and it is a diet, I assume has been continued at the prep facility in Kentucky.

Hip #285 should bring more than $40,000... however, at present she is there to sell, so I will probably let her go for that. (By the way, pedigree gets better the farther back you go... Never Bend and Bold Reason under 4th dam, Electronic Unicorn, February Storm, and Blushing K.D. under 3rd.) Also, 1/2 bro, Sudden Glory, while running cheap now, did finish 4th behind Flame Thrower and Street Cry (Ire) in the Gr. II Norfolk stakes. Hopefully, to sell her or not for that $ is a non-decision because she should bring more...

Hip #776 is a really athletic colt. His value was probably hurt a little last week when he decided to be an idiot on wet pavement and skinned his shoulder a little. Completely cosmetic... but it will still hurt him nevertheless. Also, Artax' move to New York probably will hurt his value. He too is there to be sold, however I already have a plan in place if he doesn't bring a decent bid... he will be found in Fasig-Tipton July as property of a partnership. His family could be better, but they kept breeding relatively fine-boned mares to Northern Dancer line stallions, then wondered why they weren't getting solid looking, sound individuals. They also had a rash of x-ray problems... which I hope this boy avoids. You can see his dam as she is the hip before him. They do compliment each other very well. I don't see him bringing $40,000, but I have been wrong before... If you wish to see more of the family, the stallion Aramus is a 1/2 to this colt's dam. I think he is standing at Saxony, and I know he is in the stallion directory.

Hip #1547 is hampered only by his pedigree. He is a very big, very strong colt. Currently our boarding facility is trying to get weight on him, but he seems to just be getting bigger, longer, and taller. I am certain they will have him looking really good... perhaps about 25 lbs under where we would like. He should make for a wonderful yearling, as he is going to continue to grow and fill-out. Problem we have concerns limited space and with his size, strength, and hormones... he probably doesn't need to come back to our farm. He will probably be a little much for my wife and the girls to work with. So, he is there to get moved... By the way... as a lark (and because it was free), I checked out how he "Werked"... the mating was given an A++ (4329%) with a Q6 rating. I assume that is really good... I just know that if I had drawn a picture of what I was looking for from the mating, he would fit it very well, except he is chestnut, not grey.

Personally, I am just hoping for good scopes, good x-rays, and a good sale. I think we have the individuals.

I'll take a quick peek at the catalogue and see if anything else sticks out as having potential for you.

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:38 pm

Oh... and Ryeno, you will love it there. Even in the bitter cold, it is worth the effort. I loved it in 2002 when we had quite a bit of snow, it was really neat to see the horses with the snowy backdrop.

As for horseflesh, even on the last day, you will constantly and consistently be amazed at the quality parading before you. It truly is hard to attend a Keeneland sale and not try to bring something home.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

KAL

Postby Ryeno » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:47 am

I cant say that I havent been to a horse sale without buying a horse.Even when I was 16 my dad used to threaten to put handcuffs on me and secure them underneath my legs so I couldnt bid on them!My very first horse I ever bought out of a sale was at the Washington sale when I was 15 years old.My parents flipped!I saved a bunch of my money I was being paid to help my dad on weekends and afterschool and through paddocking and cooling out horses.I spent 400 bucks on a yearling named Dovercourt Bay.That is why i try not too go to sales unless I have a good client behind me cause I will always feel sorry for at least one and then end up horse poor quite fast.I luckily have had some pretty good success with my little cheapies but even though I love all horses it is a lot nicer to look at better quality horses.I generally have a rule at horse sales.When I am going on a limited budget I dont take my catalogue with me when viewing the horses.Just a pen and paper, write the hips down that catch my attention conformation wise and then compare later with their breeding.The one's I feel i cant afford I write BMW and the ones I think I can afford I write Honda.I have caught a few local owners scratching their heads after peeking at my cats' and wondering what the hell I was writing!LOL.When spending limited amounts of money I kind of have to throw breeding out the window because if there is a well bred cavio going in my price range you better run!My friend who I stated before made that mistake in Keenland.He bought 1 regally bred yearling colt and 1 fairly well bred filly and both looked like bad looking weanlings.He spent 40k US on the pair and I wouldnt have givin ya 5k for the pair.I believe he got caught in the headlights and just bought to buy with out really taking a good look at them,bought them off the page without looking at conformation.The one colt made about 40,000 racing over 5 years mostly for bottoms and the filly never made the races.I have a majorly slow computer and looking at the catalouges through my comp takes forever so I am going to wait until the hard copies come.I am not really in the market for weanlings right now and if I go it will ultimatley be looking at Horses of Racing age that may need lesser competition and a smaller barn then they are accustomed to.I will most certainly look at yours if I go!Thanks for the info!
Ryeno

liberty
Maiden Special Weight

Postby liberty » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:07 am

Hip 499 strong colt; Mutakddim - Scatter by Shadeed Four Star Sales agent

Has seemed like an athlete at home; no surgeries

Mares 1st 2 foals have won between 65 & 70K; the first foal an Oh Say fillywon the 2 other than allowance condition in Maryland and will go back to the track after the winter. She has started once on the grass and liked it; we'll give her some othe opportunities on it. I still own the this filly, The second filly we sold at auction in 2001 after 9/11.

Pedigree info
Mutakddim had 5 stakes winners thru 2003 including Lady Tak from Northern Dancer line mares.

Seeking the Gold sired Dubai Milennium, Heavenly Prize, Flanders and Dream Supreme among others from Northern Dancer line mares.

Farm Info

This is our 3rd foal from a Mutakddim breeding. The first foal was a filly that was a stakes winner at 2. The 2nd foal a 3 year old filly of 2004 has won over $89,000 and is back at the farm for R&R during the winter. She will return to Woodbine in the spring.

This foal looks better than the other 2 foals we have raised by this sire.

Thanks for looking.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

keeneland

Postby tbrace » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:19 pm

Thanks, folks,

Sounds like some nice horseflesh. I will check them all out. Good luck at the sale. I am sure you will do well.

Mike
Allowance Winner

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:24 pm

Good luck at the sale Kal

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:07 am

Many thanks! I just truly hope they outperform whatever is spent to obtain them. And, I hope quite a bit is spent on them.

If anyone has any questions about any of these critters don't hesitate to contact me. (If it is the week of the sale, get my cell number from the consignor... I'll be in Florida, at Disney, with my daughter.)

We believe in 100% full disclosure, and are more than willing to share any vet or nutritional information. Also, I would love to explain the thought process behind the breedings and why I think the matings improve the chances of the horse being successful.

Liberty, I really like that mating. Looks like a potential runner on paper anyway, did you put that together? I strongly considered Mutakddim this year, but had other plans come together which just nudged him out. It is pretty obvious those other two foals from this mare have been running in decent company, and I like this mating the best. All it will take is a slight improvement and some black type could be in the mares future... boy, won't that help the sales $. Now, let's hope our x-rays and scopes are good!

I also think you are in good hands with Four Star. If you get a chance, try to meet Kerry Cauthen... he is one class act... of course, it seems to run in the family, I have also met Doug and Steve and can truthfully say that their parents did an unbelieveable job.

Good luck with hip 499, I think you have done your part to get a runner, I just hope it gets the respect it deserves in the sale ring! When I get the inevitable "... hey, do you see anything..." calls, I'll have to include your colt.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:56 pm

I just got my catologue's in the mail today!Yipee it was like getting an early christmas present!I will do some looking and give some opinions on some of the horses I know in the sale!.
Happy Holidays
Ryeno

liberty
Maiden Special Weight

Postby liberty » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:57 pm

Kal, I also wish you good luck at Keeneland in January.

I did the mating myself of Scatter and Mutakddim. Thanks for the compliment.