2000 gelding for sale

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Roguelet

2000 gelding for sale

Postby Roguelet » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:07 am

We are seeking a second career for a 2000 TB gelding. He's well bred, but he's gelded so nobody will probably care! :lol: He is 100% sound and 100% sane. He is a very good boy, great to work with and tries his hardest to please. No insane tendancies whatsoever! :lol: His only issue was an entrapped epiglottis with an ulcer on it last year, which was surgically corrected and has healed 100%.

This is a horse with a good mind and an athletic drive, and he is as honest as they come. Therefore, I am not interested in just finding him a place to stand around. I want to sell him to someone who has a goal for him; a job... a "second career." He's only 5 this year and has a ton of potential and lots of years ahead of him to excell in something!

I've never measured him and absolutely STINK at guessing, so PLEASE take this guesstimate with a grain of salt, but I'd say he's around the 15.2 or 15.3 mark. He's bay with a little bit of white on one heel and a teeny patch of white on one shoulder. He has a "dimple" on each side of his neck. He's current on all vaccines, deworming, etc... he's always been very well taken care of. He was originally broke/trained using "natural" methods, was trail ridden in a western saddle, learned to stand tied for extended periods of time, loads and hauls great, etc. He's a good mover and had very good early speed on the track... EXCELLENT gate speed.

Price will be discussed with people who contact us with serious inquiries. We are certainly not looking to get rich off of him, but we also aren't interested in giving him away and want to make sure that whoever ends up with him does actually WANT him and intends to DO something with him. He's currently here at our place in Indiana, and will stay here until the right match is made. He'll make someone a heck of a partner!

This is my first attempt at attaching a picture, and this is an older picture, but it's what I have available to link to at this time... hopefully this will work:

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:51 pm

Just looking at him and hearing about him, wouldn't he make a neat little event horse. :shock:

toadie
Allowance Winner

Postby toadie » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 am

Even though he's a gelding, there are a lot of sport horse people that are interested in bloodlines, Sooooo, what's his breeding? There are some lines that are proven to produce jumpers. Of course, every horse is an individual!
BTW, I've always been pretty good at guessing a horse's height just by knowing that I am 15.3 It's pretty easy to judge how many inches are abv. your direct eyesight. Try it.
"Most people hate the taste of beer to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome."-Winston Churchill

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:10 am

I'd think he could also be a very nice Hunter or dressage prospect (if he isn't enthusiastic over fences)- great-looking horse with a nice build! :D

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:58 am

Thank you everyone for the comments on this guy. For those interested in bloodlines, this is "Cometes," and his pedigree is in the database. He is by a son of A.P. Indy (Indy Mood) and out of a Smile mare. He is part of Indy Mood's first crop; and even though his oldest babies are only just now 5YOs, several have already begun to excel in second careers.

He really is very athletic, and totally willing to do anything he's asked to do, so I think he could easily be a jumper, eventer, dressage horse, hunter, polo horse, whatever. He is definitely happiest when he has a "job" to do, and just knowing him like I do, I don't doubt that he could be trained to do pretty much anything. Also knowing him like I do, I will go out on a limb and say that he will give 100% to anything he does!

He's a great little horse, and he's placed a few times but never quite got that elusive "W." He tries so hard each time and gives it his all, and is almost always first out of the gates and leads for a good while. We (hubby, me, trainer) have discussed him for a while... last year we watched what was to be his last race prior to retirement, and he took second, and we thought... hhhmmmmm..... he's always shown enough talent to make us want to keep trying. BUT, since he's 100% sound and 100% honest, we know he's giving us all he has to give. After we found the entrapped epiglottis with the ulcer, we thought we had it figured out as to why he lacked a "finish," I mean, it made sense... he couldn't really breathe! :roll: Anyway, we did the surgery, he healed, we ran him back and he did well, but still no win.

At this point, as a 5YO this year, it's to the point where we've just decided that we want to see him do something where he can really be successful. I mean, this horse has such a drive to succeed, it just breaks my heart to watch him want that win so bad but get passed up at the end! He's a good boy and deserves a chance to shine somewhere.

Sorry for the rambling... it's just so hard to place one of my babies, but it's unfair to him not to! I didn't mean to give the impression that his cost would be outlandish, I hope nobody thought that... I just want to make DAMN sure he doesn't end up in a "bad place." As a matter of fact, I would like to stipulate to whoever ends up with him that if, in the future, they need to get rid of him, we are offered right of first refusal to get him back.

Anyway, thanks for looking, and if you have any other questions about him, ask away. As should be obvious by this post, I will talk about my horses all day long! :roll: :lol: :roll: