4 Year old race/Broodmare prospect-1/2 to Stakes Horse

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

4 Year old race/Broodmare prospect-1/2 to Stakes Horse

Postby pokeyman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:45 am

I am looking for a great home for my 4 year old filly, Catalina Lady (Tomorrows Cat x Emeralino). She is a 1/2 to a stakes horse and has black type every single generation of her pedigree for 6+ generations. She is tail female to the great mare, Bold Irish.

She has had some bad racing luck. She was injured in June of this year (slipped in race and strained her hind end in the mud). She has not been the same horse since so we had to drop her for a tag. She just finished 4th out of 12 (photo for third) for $5000 a couple weeks ago and is running back in a week. Previously, she had finished 4th in a NY Bred $25,000 MCL at Belmont and 3rd MSW twice at Suffolk prior to her injury.

I would sell her for a low price if it was to a great home. She is about 15.2hh; correct; and has no vices. Is clean in joints/bones. This filly is all racehorse. Enthusiastic training and racing; runs blinkers/wrap free. Never colics. Has raced without lasix. Great feet.

She could definitely still race but I would give her the winter off. She is a NY-Bred and NY stallion Series nominated.

Please pass the word on as I really want to see her end up in an AWESOME home. I only keep Stakes mares or stakes producers for my broodmare band. I own her mother and her SP brother. She would make a nice starter broodmare for someone with all that black type on her page. GREAT HOME ONLY. I can't emphasize that enough....

Please PM me for pics. She is at Suffolk.

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:25 pm

Sale Pending. Thanks for PMs....

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Sold.

Filly finished 2nd on 11/4 in race 3 at Suffolk Downs.

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:24 am

Filly breaks maiden in her 2nd start for new owner!! Owner plans on retiring her to her family broodmare band after racing. :D

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Awesome!
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Thank you! I am extremely proud of this filly and very happy for her new connections!!! :D

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Pokey, you mentioned you only keep "Stakes mares or stakes producers" for your broodmare ban. Has your culling method been effective or have you been bitten by the plan? I am assuming you only keep Stakes mares and if they fail to produce a stakes horse in a reasonable time frame you cull-right?
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Yes, Zinn I do cull. But, I was REALLY on the fence with this filly. I have always felt she was talented; she's a 1/2 to stakes horse; and has a great family.

But, culls can be for a lot of different reasons...mare throws sprinters regardless of who she is bred too and you are trying to breed 2 turn horses; pedigree is not what you want to retain; etc.

Just because a horse is not right for my program, she could be perfect for another program and I try to only have quality horses. Thus, they, generally, fit in somewhere even if it may not be with me....

I am going to be offline for a couple weeks so won't be able to respond further but thanks for the discussion!