looking to buy OTTB

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Travis
Weanling

looking to buy OTTB

Postby Travis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi all, I'd like to get some input and your wisdom on this horse : Herr Mozart (Mr. Greeleyx Clincher).
I am looking for a OTTB to event.
I am not a "next" "move horses on" type so I want a keeper.
Anyone can give me some info?
Thanks!

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:53 pm

5/9/2006 KY bred gelding who is stakes placed and earned $125k and raced from ages 2-6 years old.

https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/sep07/pdfs/1765.pdf

He was a $260,000 Keeneland September Yearling.

His half brother was RNA'd this past Sept sale for $45,000
https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/Sep11/pdfs/1753.pdf

The updated catalog page shows Herr Mozart being the leading earner for his dam.

Travis
Weanling

Postby Travis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Crystal wrote:5/9/2006 KY bred gelding who is stakes placed and earned $125k and raced from ages 2-6 years old.

https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/sep07/pdfs/1765.pdf

He was a $260,000 Keeneland September Yearling.

His half brother was RNA'd this past Sept sale for $45,000
https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/Sep11/pdfs/1753.pdf

The updated catalog page shows Herr Mozart being the leading earner for his dam.

Thanks for the stats - he is a sweet looking race horse - but how about his soundness for future use? He appears declining in form and results...
I already have one really fancy very expensive as yearling at KEEN and winning TB, neverthless now he is only 50% sound. Came from one of top trainers, I love him and keep him but I'd like to have one I can try eventing with...
Thanks for any input.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:36 pm

First off I know a horse out of a full sister to Metfield who will sail over ANYTHING you put in front of him, has the scope to go grand prix level, and eats terrifying-looking jumps for lunch. He's not an easy horse, but he is not awful by any description. I'd say that he's got a lot of starch, and if he's going to flex his muscles, he lets you know so you can get out of the way.

Herr Mozart had a long break after his last win, nearly 5 months. Then he ran 3 more times, and had another 5-month break and was either given away or sold--new owner, new trainer. After the trainer switch he got steadily worse and worse, with comments on the charts like outrun, and "failed to sustain bid." At the time of his change of ownership, he was still making money--had picked up a 3rd at Colonial 2 runs before his sale...BUT he never regained the form he had after that first 5-month break, let alone the second 5-month break.

My take on this is that in his last win, he probably injured himself. Whatever it was, he was able to race again, AND be in the money, but not making enough money to be worth keeping and he was sold on. The new trainer may or may not have had him fit enough, may not have figured him out, or just flat out had a horse who wasn't interested in running anymore.

If you're serious on him, you might try contacting his former trainer (check the Equibase charts) and see what happened with him, as well as a vet check.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Travis: Why don't you check out CANTER or other OTTB rescue. There are lots of durable horses that didn't make on the track that are still sound and have potential. I don't know where you are located but if you near a track, it might me worth a "look and see." You might be surprised and find that perfect horse you can really call a "keeper."

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Shammy Davis wrote:Travis: Why don't you check out CANTER or other OTTB rescue. There are lots of durable horses that didn't make on the track that are still sound and have potential. I don't know where you are located but if you near a track, it might me worth a "look and see." You might be surprised and find that perfect horse you can really call a "keeper."

I submit that whether this horse is out for CANTER or private sale, the OP is still likely to be looking at a race broke TB, and pretty much every race broke TB is going to have some issue or other....even if it's just a bad case of the slows. All this horse needs to do is be sound enough for eventing.

Something that is really important with eventing, though, is athletic ability, and having 3 wins and a stakes placing is proven athletic ability. My theory that he was injured is only speculation at this point--it could have been a quarter crack, or he could have needed tieback surgery, or he could have bled, or any number of things that made him unsound to race for a while but not unsound to race forever. A good and thorough lameness exam by a good vet AND calling/emailing as many of the past trainers/owners as possible for a history is the best way to go. In my experience most former owners are very pleased to hear that their old horses have a new job, and if their reaction is "that horse is a %$&@*%!" then you know to walk away! :)

Past trainers--
Amy Randolph (Parx)
Simon Hobson (Colonial)

Past owners--

Malone LLC (they have a website you can google with more info)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

My own recent experience says xray xray xray before you commit. I was told by a person I respect that the horse in question would have no trouble with jumping 3ft and going to an event home. What was called "deep bruising" was more likely sesamoiditis on the last lay off, unknown to me then. He got cast while here and chipped his sesamoid, more likely he re-injured himself. Save yourself some time, money and grief and vet him like you would any older event horse. If you don't you might wind up like me....unridable horse in barn who lives on bute and no one wants him. He's a cute mover. If you are really set on a free horse with issues I've been told some chips are very tolerable and living on bute is no big thing. Want him? He's 16.2 and if it cost $1200 to send him there's a chance I could talk his owner into coughing up more money :))
Be skeptical. Best of luck

Travis
Weanling

Postby Travis » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks guys for all responses. Chilling and very usefull.
Yes I have to look closer to home in order to be able to get the xrays, PPEs etc.
I am near Tampa Bay Downs but I don't know anybody at the track.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 am

Diane is right. It is all about a pre purchase exam. Also dont go to the track expecting to find a 100% perfectly clean/sound horse.. There is something wrong with every horse at the track.

Your vet would know someone at the track..

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 am

Travis, where do you live and are you looking just local? Are you also just looking for OTTB or any TB with the potential to event?

There are so many getting out of the business and have sound youngsters that have never seen the track, or at least a race. My friend has several 2-4 yr olds never raced, all sound.

True OTTB need a job after racing, but the soundness issue may place a factor and if you get a straight and true answer....but so do the now pasture pets that foaled for the intention to race but for whatever reason never made it to the track.

They should be called almost OTTB.... :wink:

Travis
Weanling

Postby Travis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi oleo, I am in FL now, but I used to live in Moscow, ID :)
I already have 1 real OTTB and 1 almost OTTB never raced; and it was equally hard to get them going, both had issues. I don't blame the horses but their owners didn't do a good job. And I was a naive buyer.
But my never raced TB made it to Training level in eventing so far and my real OTTB is showing Training level dressage, so not too shabby. I've owned them for 4 and 3 years respectively.

I'd like to find 1 more OTTB, dark liver chestnut is my dream color, the 2 I have are greys - I need a grooming break...

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Travis wrote:Hi oleo, I am in FL now, but I used to live in Moscow, ID :)
I already have 1 real OTTB and 1 almost OTTB never raced; and it was equally hard to get them going, both had issues. I don't blame the horses but their owners didn't do a good job. And I was a naive buyer.
But my never raced TB made it to Training level in eventing so far and my real OTTB is showing Training level dressage, so not too shabby. I've owned them for 4 and 3 years respectively.

I'd like to find 1 more OTTB, dark liver chestnut is my dream color, the 2 I have are greys - I need a grooming break...

I have no idea what your budget requirements are, but on www.dodonfarms.com there is a 2002 model chestnut mare who is a finished eventer, for $7000. The farm is in Maryland.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Very cool Travis, FL is nice, ID is OK...Moscow huh, not to far from us at all......I have one of my breedings racing down in FL, I don't own her but came from our breeding.

I don't know anyone there....but I am sure you will find what you are looking for. One thing about TB's they are a dime a dozen.

Good luck and I will keep an ear and eye out for anything I hear of.