NG season to Bal a Bali available

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

MaresRest
Suckling

NG season to Bal a Bali available

Postby MaresRest » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:00 am

We ended up with a Bal a Bali season that we will be unable to use this year. If you are interested, please contact me. Price is 25% of his advertised fee.

As a reminder: "The Brazilian Wonderhorse" was a group winner at 2 and Brazilian Triple Crown winner at 3. He was a U.S. grade I miler and classic-distance competitor. He won 15 races from 5F to 12F. His first foals are 2 this year and appear to be solid-boned and quick. He's a great outcross (In Reality line without any Mr. P, and both Bold Ruler and Northern Dancer will have a single instance in foals' sixth generation.) He has a Rasmussen Factor cross to Gonfalon. Known for "speed speed speed," his bloodlines actually impart both precocity and stamina. He stands at Calumet.

Bal a Bali pedigree
Stallion Register page
-----
Mares' Rest is a retirement facility for Thoroughbred broodmares. We're currently seeking 501(c)(3) certification.
This Pedigree Online account is monitored by Scot Gillies.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: NG season to Bal a Bali available

Postby Joltman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:53 am

It seems that Calumet floods the sales pavillion with their foals (Bal a Bali, Flintshire, etc.), often with little behind them pedigree or race-wise and they just don't get a decent bid. After a couple of years, they move on somewhere and there's a new stud they're promoting. I don't get their business plan.

Have you heard anything else that might suggest he'll do OK?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

MaresRest
Suckling

Re: NG season to Bal a Bali available

Postby MaresRest » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:53 am

Interesting viewpoint. Calumet sold 7 Bal a Bali foals from his first crop at Keeneland September 2020... or 6.3 percent of his 112 live foals that year. "Flood" seems a bit of an overstatement. A total of 21 percent of his foals were offered at the event, far less than the 50 percent or 60 percent clip for many Kentucky stallions in his stud fee range.

And Calumet's foals sold for a higher average (11 percent above Bal a Bali foals offered by other consignors) and median (62 percent)... so I wouldn't necessarily conclude Calumet's offerings were from lesser mares than what other breeders sent to him for his first-season book (or, at least, buyers paying actual money at the world's biggest yearling sale didn't seem to think so). Clearly, Calumet has many higher-fee stallions to support with its best mares, but Bal a Bali received at least some support from his standing farm.

Any Brazilian horse will have to prove himself as a sire before he gets hot at the sales and before he earns the right to cover the most elite broodmares, so I would expect a horse like Bal a Bali to be a good choice especially for breed-to-race breeders--rather than the commercial breeders that your statement seems to elevate to the industry's most prized role. I stand by his record for small breeders who wish to produce foals that will be likely to run early and stay sound, and will have a shot at grade I-level ability. As a millionaire performer with 20 times in the money from 26 starts, wins from 5/8 to a mile and a half, wins from age 2 to 7... well, it's hard to find much fault there.

In any case, this offering is for a season rather than for a foal, so any concerns about the mare's pedigree or race performance are the concern of the would-be breeder.
-----
Mares' Rest is a retirement facility for Thoroughbred broodmares. We're currently seeking 501(c)(3) certification.
This Pedigree Online account is monitored by Scot Gillies.