TB pony horse

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

TB pony horse

Postby Inthe951 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:32 pm

What to TB tracks pay for a good pony horse? Where do they usually aquire them from?

Waquoit
Allowance Winner

Pony horses

Postby Waquoit » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:07 am

At least from what I've seen, many pony horses are retired racers who still enjoy having a regular "job" at the track. Don't know specifics on price, but I know one trainer who says he wouldn't take "all the money in the world" for his top pony horse. Sure that's an exaggeration :wink: , but they're a great asset.

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

Pony Horse

Postby Inthe951 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:03 am

Does anyone know of someone looking. Have a 1/2 TB geld that is reining and roping trained and know he would have the speed and brain to be one. Any ideas to attract that crowd?

Waquoit
Allowance Winner

Finding a track job for your pony horse

Postby Waquoit » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:48 am

Could you make flyers with his photo and description, and a big headline that says something like "Excellent Outrider Pony Prospect"? Then drop them off at the racetrack(s) in your area--better yet, ask them if you can post the flyers in the track kitchen and racing office. If it's not too expensive, you might also want to place ads in the DRF, Blood Horse, and/or Thoroughbred Times (try the online version if print is too pricey). Best of luck to you and the horse.

Lei Owen
Allowance Winner

Postby Lei Owen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:43 am

What is the other half of this gelding? I'm assuming quarterhorse since he has had reining and roping training. Right? What's in his pedigree? Is he registered as a quarterhorse?
Laissez les bon temps rouller!

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

Postby Inthe951 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:25 pm

He is a registered as a Paint Overo Gelding. Marked like a quarter but with a sabino style balze that wraps around his lower lip. Finished in heading and healing and showed at the World by a 14 yr old. He is that rare speed with brains type that doesnt loose it. I really thing he would make a great pony horse of barrel horse. Already reining trained so can spin on his haunches......all this and only three.

Did you have any ideas for him?

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:40 pm

Now I know the QH world... You have to be asking way more than most trainers will pay for a pony horse. Many are given their TB's for free, or take one off their string and put the money int otraining it as a pony.
Maybe I'm wrong, but from the sounds of it you can get a lot more without selling as a pony. ( :wink: not that I wouln't take him! )
Racing and retraining.

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:26 am

That was my thought. I was under the impression that the ponies are horses finished with racing, or those who didn't make it racing - these are available in numbers and for next to nothing. I can't imagine paying much for one, when so many are around for so little. Why would you want your guy to be a pony horse with his talents, anyway? I'd snap him up for polo, however, in a heartbeat, and you can bet those polo folks have no problem spending money on a "handy" horse!
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

Postby Inthe951 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:56 am

Its not so much the money as I thought it would be a job he would be very good and talented at. Although, i wouldnt give him away or sell him for next to nothing....which is why my original question was what to people pay for a pony horse. If it is nothing then I guess that isnt the job for him. LOL

Polo pony would fit well. Any ideas on how to reach those people.

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:07 am

I would call the clubs near you. See if you can get to talk with the club manager and see if anyone is looking for a polo pony prospect, describe him, etc., and see if you can bring him over to a pick up game or practice so people can have a look and ride him around a little. I guess that's what would have worked for me around here (Yale polo) when I was playing; alternatively you could simply advertise him as a prospect at the polo club barns and see what interest you get.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:50 am

i have to disagree.a very good pony and especially outrider horse in valuable.evidently the better quality racetracks and trainers have the best ones where cheap no good for racing or broken down horses are the norms in bottom tracks.in places like Santa Anita most outriders and trainers have excellent horses,they need to since they are handling valuable horses,would not want to hurt them or let them loose...they are a great asset for some trainers too when a horse is simply too crazy to be gallop safely without it,more recently Smarty Jones..I personnaly knew many horses that would have been worth nothing without a certain pony..On the other hand i sell over 100 off track horses a year and Polo people don't pay much for a prospect since most don't last long...I live across from a big Polo club...

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:12 am

Okay, sylvie, that sounds fair, you probably know much more than I, maybe the race track ponies would be a good place for her to sell him! I do know, though, that even though our clubs here aren't really big, most of the polo players I know would get a sting of horses and keep them and use them, train them, well and keep him long and healthy and happy. But I am a bit out of the loop now, so I will bow out of this conversation.

Cheers!

Cheryl

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:34 am

Well for price I know a friend of mine paid $3500 for his very nice QH pony (exracer as well). And that's the most I've ever heard someone paying for a pony.
Racing and retraining.