Buying Thoroughbreds for race breeding

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

TripleCrownGal1013
Newborn

Buying Thoroughbreds for race breeding

Postby TripleCrownGal1013 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I currently train and breed hunter/jumpers, but I have wanted to get into the "Thoroughbred Race Breeding Scene" for quite a awhile. I have spent a lot of time researching and training with family in the Racing business. But now, I am ready to do it on my own. I am interested in buying well bred mares and I am looking into stallions. If anyone is selling a nice Thoroughbred, or knows of someone who is...I would love to know. I give all of my "babies" fabulous and loving homes. I just want to breed "extremely nice " horses...good confomation, soundness, and temperment...(I am not a mediocore backyard breeder...) Thanks for your help....

Harmony Boyer
"Peace of Mine Farm"
Park City, Utah

[email protected]

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:14 pm

You're in luck, timing-wise, because one of the best places to find well-bred mares is at the Keeneland, Fasig-Tipton, and Adena Springs November sales which begin in less than a month.

All their books are currently online and you can find out more information at www.keeneland.com and www.fasigtipton.com

TripleCrownGal1013
Newborn

Postby TripleCrownGal1013 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:02 pm

LSB~

Thank you soooooo much! I will check their online catalogs! Any opinion on good up-and-coming sires, dams, bloodlines, etc. Trying to get good buys, but don't wanna cut on quality!

Thanks,

Harmony
"Peace of Mine Farm"

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:38 pm

You can also call Keeneland at 800-456-3412 and they will send you a set of hard catalogs. Be prepared to set aside at least three full evenings for a first read through.

TripleCrownGal1013
Newborn

Postby TripleCrownGal1013 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:10 pm

Michael~

Thanks so much for the number...I will call them first thing tomorrow...It really helps to get some info from people that know about this. I am so excited and ready to learn everything I can! Thanks so much!

Harmony
"Peace of Mine Farm"

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:36 pm

Hi Harmony,

Just a word of caution, thoroughbreds require substantially different care, feeding and treatment.

I'm sure that you take excellent care of your horses but thoroughbreds rasied without a clear understanding of their needs often are not saleable nor raceable.

Regards,

Pete

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:22 am

I would advise you get yourself an 'advisor' someone though that you don't pay, as their 'bud' may be selling the horse and they just want to help out old buddy!... I know several people on this forum frequent the sales...

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:14 am

Hi Ruffian,

Good advice. Whether paid or not, a second eye and opinion can help.

There are 2 people that I will ask to look at prospects for me if I see them at the sales. I feel that they have a better eye than mine.

Embarking on breeding thoroughbreds is a risky business. Find someone to assist you and understand their intentions. Be open minded but careful not to be bullied.

Don't get too many opinions or you'll just have confusion.

Regards,

Pete

TripleCrownGal1013
Newborn

Postby TripleCrownGal1013 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:13 pm

Pete & Ruffian,

Thank you so much for your advice...I totally agree, do not worry,I am not going into this "blind'. I am trying to educate myself and I am learning all I can from people who know the business. I agree on your suggestions of a "second or third eye"..I still do this in my business, and it really helps me to pick out the best I can. So I agree whole-heartedly! :-)
I have been wanting to do this for as long as I can remember, and I have been actively pursuing it for about 3 years, and I have not fully "jumped-in" because I want to be able to do it, like I do the jumpers now...(be totally confident in myself, enjoying it, and doing what's right for the horses... SO thank you, it really helps to get some support.

Thanks,

Harmony Boyer
"Peace of Mine Farm"

Keith
Grade III Winner

My cousin has a Graded Stakes Placed Stallion in Idaho.

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:52 pm

His name is Starmaniac and He is by Septieme Ciel and is a half brother to Black Hawk who made over $5,000,000. He could be a decent sire and he is a grandson of Seattle Slew and is out of a Silver Hawk mare.

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:52 am

Hi Keith,

Those are Japaneese earnings that I divide by 10 to get an idea of what he would have earned here. Still impressive.

Harmony,

Keep your composure and don't fall in love least you pay too dearly for love (as we all seem to do).

Michael,

Three nights x 5. I love the catalogs and hate them :)

Pete

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:17 am

Hi all!

After reading this thread, recently discussing the differences in breeding to race and breeding to sell with some friends, and being asked to advise as to potential on a couple mares, I thought I would post some of my thoughts on breeding to race. Take them for what they are worth... I don't breed to race, we breed for the commercial market, however every mating, every foal, is designed to provide their future owners with a high quality athlete. Additionally, with the recent changes in breeders incentives in some states, we are considering shifting some of our focus in this direction.

Mare selection
Mare selection can be entirely different in breeding to race vs. breeding to sell. The commercial market can be, and often will be, brutal to a foal with two blank dams, and a mare whose dam has no black type. Conversely, the same market will often pay more for a foal than its worth based solely on the "page".

There are situations where the black type under the first two dams is absent for very good reason (dam only produced a foal or two, dam produced only one or two fillies, dam was sent abroad, dam was used to support "backyard" stallion, etc.). Thus, a sharp minded, breed to race, sort may find a mare whose dam is not a stakes placed or a stakes producer to be quite suitable.

Don't be lured in by "cheap" black type. In most cases, a filly who won an allowance at Saratoga was a much superior runner than a filly who was placed in a restricted $25,000 stakes race in Timbuktoo. Of course, this also applies to "breed to sell" types also, but in a lesser degree.

Things to look for... soundness in bloodlines, quality sires and broodmare sires, and previous attempts at breeding (if any). On the latter point, if they have bred the mare to Danehill, Storm Cat, A.P. Indy, etc., with no positive race results, then how do you expect to improve?

Also, consider what types of racing you wish to do. If you wish to see your foals running at 2, then you need to find a mare who showed she could run at 2, or had the pedigree to do so. If you wish a turf horse, look for turf bloodlines in the pedigree. If you want to race at a specific course, look for mares who either ran well at that track or who, you believe based on pedigree or conformation, would have run well at the selected course.

Importand things for both breed to race and breed to sell:
Quality conformation, or produces foals with quality conformation. In breed to race you will need to determine what you "can live with" and possibly save quite a sum for your thoughts.

Good reproductive record and good reproductive organs (probably best if you have the vet help you with this).

Size does matter... in the sales ring. If you are breeding to race, you may actually find you prefer smaller horses, however, in the commercial market, you had better find a way to produce bigger foals... the market will demand it.

There is more to this topic, but, since I am falling asleep...

Good night!

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:57 am

Hi Kal,

Excellent advice.

Hope you get some good sleep.

Pete