Gr 1 Malibu

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Tesio
Maiden Special Weight

Gr 1 Malibu

Postby Tesio » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:41 pm

This looks like a tough race. A full field of fourteen three-year olds entered in final Grade One of the year.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:44 pm

I wouldn't bet your money on this race until I see how the track turns out.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:46 pm

BDW has a good point - how will Hollywood Park form carry over to the cushion surface?
What synthetics are to California racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcpPOU

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:58 pm

i normally make a habit of not bettnig the first week of a meet, just to see if there are any well..differences or anything out of the blue that pops up. at churchil earlier this year itw as how strong the races at oaklawn carried over to churchill. at del mar it was del mar sucks. i hope nothing bad comes out of this track becaue the malibu is one of my fav races.

- Einstein

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:00 pm

I'll take a shot on Cobalt Blue. I think he's taken it to the next racing level and his former owner, Merv Griffin died, a circumstance that has worked quite well in the improvement dept. on a number of occassions..

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:36 pm

actually looking at the contestents... cobalt blue hasn't won a race since feburary

I haven't seen horse greeley in so long...

this is not a race I can honeslty handicap becasue 1) the track and 2) you have too many good horses coming off a layoff. I would be guessing. Great Hunter, horse greeley, cobalt blue and Les Grand Trois could all win it

- Einstein

Tesio
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Tesio » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Good points made with it being opening day and a "new" surface. Tough race to call. I'll just sit back and root like heck for Kiaran to win another Grade 1. I don't need to have $ on this one to enjoy it. With a win here McLaughlin deserves the Eclipse.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:51 pm

as long as pletcher doesn't win it I can be happy :)

- Einstein

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:30 pm

I wrestled for hours trying to pick the winner of this race, so I finally turned to the TUMB System and it gave me the logical winner in a matter of 30 seconds. I continue to be amazed by how simple it is to apply the TUMB System to the most difficult handicapping challenges.

1. Desert Code 85.00, by E Dubai. This horse's TUMB System rating is pretty good for two reasons. (1) He's ridden by Richie Migliore, and I always liked Richie. (2) The damsire is Lost Code, and Billy Donovan did a good job training him.

The TUMB System - THE Thoroughbred industry standard for measuring not a heck of a lot. Give yourself a "thumb up" and order now!
Last edited by Rokeby Forever on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:39 pm

interesting analysis roke

isn't Billy Donovan the coach of the florida gators... he can train horses too? :shock:

- Einstein

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:42 pm

You'd have to reach ol' Billy Donovan with a seance now, so I guess the Gator coach is a different one.

But maybe Desert Code should get a few extra TUMB points for the coincidence?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:20 pm

Rokeby Forever wrote:I wrestled for hours trying to pick the winner of this race, so I finally turned to the TUMB System and it gave me the logical winner in a matter of 30 seconds. I continue to be amazed by how simple it is to apply the TUMB System to the most difficult handicapping challenges.

1. Desert Code 85.00, by E Dubai. This horse's TUMB System rating is pretty good for two reasons. (1) He's ridden by Richie Migliore, and I always liked Richie. (2) The damsire is Lost Code, and Billy Donovan did a good job training him.

The TUMB System - THE Thoroughbred industry standard for measuring not a heck of a lot. Give yourself a "thumb up" and order now!

Hmmm...... Roke very impressive number. If memory serves, I think you may be slightly predjudiced in affording Desert Code such a lofty number. Tell me if I'm wrong (and I know how humble you are about your accomplishments), but don't you have a sentimental attachment to this Thumbmaker product since it was your very first one:>) Kudos thumb master:>) TJ

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:30 pm

TJ,

You might be right, but it should be noted that this horse has no chance if the wind is coming from the West on Wednesday. He runs better when the winds are out of the South.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:39 pm

Rokeby Forever wrote:TJ,

You might be right, but it should be noted that this horse has no chance if the wind is coming from the West on Wednesday. He runs better when the winds are out of the South.

Thank you Roke, I will monitor the prevailing winds and adjust accordingly. At the moment both my thumbs are occupied. After they rest up after the holidays, I'll see if we can butt our heads together and come up with something of interest. TJ

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:14 pm

Roke:

So Desert code has a score of 85.00. Is that a TSV, as in a Thumb Strength Value?

I'm developing a system for picking sure winners. I believe when I have it perfected, it will challange the T.U.M.B. system. For one, it will be more sanitary than the T.U.M.B. system, and the process of getting to HUTI could be quite a bit more enjoyable.

My H.U.T.I.* system also points towards Desert Code. With HUTI and TUMB pointing towards Desert Code, he should be able to prevail regardless of any ill Wednesday Winds.

Regards, Shergar

*HUTI---Handicapping under the influence.