Gulfstream

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Gulfstream

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Gulfstream opens Thurday Jan. 3rd. and the entries are out for those so inclined to take a look see. Unfortunately they changed racing secretarys and it looks like the glitz and glamour of Gufstream may look more like a glorified Calder production. I hope I'm wrong but there are a lot of cheap claiming races in the cond. book and the purses are down big time. They better start to pickup their game before they lose what's left of decent racing in South Florida. TJ

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:29 pm

well.. i mean it is thursday

thursdays are usually claimer galore day at gulfstream, hey they gotta run somewhere

gulstream the last year at least went out of their way to save the best races for saturday

:D

the 4th is an interesting race
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:06 pm

bdw0617 wrote:well.. i mean it is thursday

thursdays are usually claimer galore day at gulfstream, hey they gotta run somewhere

gulstream the last year at least went out of their way to save the best races for saturday

:D

the 4th is an interesting race

The purses are down, Palm Meadows is 1/2 full. The condition book has lots of claiming races in it....just got a bad feeling about the meet in general. I hope I'm wrong. Anyway there will be some good opportunities Thurday and I'll be there with bells on:>) Friday thru Sunday will be OK, just hope the supporting cards will be more Allowance races than cheap claimers. You can look forward to Friday: The Canadian Turf Handicap GrIII, Saturday: The Hutchenson Stakes GrII and The Mr. Prospector Handicap GrIII, Sunday: The Hal's Hope Handicap GrIII and The Sabin Handicap GrIII. TJ

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:17 pm

It was like that last year, TJ. The cards looked just like Calder cards on most days.

Inside speed used to be unbeatable at Gulfstream, but the whole track is different now. They changed the dimensions and it's more balanced. I remember when Calder speed that would die at Calder would run well at Gulfstream, but it died in the stretch last year there, too.
What synthetics are to California racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcpPOU

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:20 pm

damnit the derby trail has already started :x shoot.

- Einstein

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Rokeby Forever wrote:It was like that last year, TJ. The cards looked just like Calder cards on most days.

Inside speed used to be unbeatable at Gulfstream, but the whole track is different now. They changed the dimensions and it's more balanced. I remember when Calder speed that would die at Calder would run well at Gulfstream, but it died in the stretch last year there, too.

No Roke, It started last year and most years prior toward the end of the season bcause the big boys shipped home before the end of the meet. This year they may just get right to it because they need the cheap Calder claimers to make a full card. The jockey colony isn't the way it was either. Heck, PJ Lydon rides in the last race there Thurday :lol: TJ

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Gulfstream was always weak heading into mid-April, but the place ran A LOT of $10,000 claiming races last year.

Patty Lydon is still around? Geeze...I remember when Patty did work for Howie Tesher. LOL! I wonder if The Chief is bringing down Tyrone Carter again.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:05 pm

Rokeby Forever wrote:Gulfstream was always weak heading into mid-April, but the place ran A LOT of $10,000 claiming races last year.

Patty Lydon is still around? Geeze...I remember when Patty did work for Howie Tesher. LOL! I wonder if The Chief is bringing down Tyrone Carter again.

For sure Roke, all the usual suspects are down here. Parisella is here too, I got a feeling he's gonna make his presence felt.....especially in the claiming ranks! PJ is a good girl and she can still ride, horses always run for her--I hope she wins it. TJ

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:37 pm

okay we are all in agreement that the opening day card sucks

moving on to friday.. pretty interesting stuff

http://www.drf.com/entries/04/eGP04.html?rn=262086

race 5:

Keep the Peace is a good one. keep an eye on her. should be a name you hear for the rest of the year in stakes company

tje 6th race culd very well be a stakes race

you got host in the 7th.

there are a couple of interesting first timers in the 8th as well

- Einstein

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm

bdw0617 wrote:okay we are all in agreement that the opening day card sucks

race 5:

Keep the Peace is a good one. keep an eye on her. should be a name you hear for the rest of the year in stakes company

you got host in the 7th.

Still 4 of the 9 races are claiming horses/races and the jockey colony looks like we are still at Calder. Hopefully the weekend will be mostly allowance races. TJ

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:35 pm

TJ wrote:

race 5:

you got host in the 7th.

Still 4 of the 9 races are claiming horses/races and the jockey colony looks like we are still at Calder. Hopefully the weekend will be mostly allowance races. TJ

Interloping I guess, but aren't claiming races where some of the best prices are found and the best handicapping skill is required?

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:53 pm

bdw0617 wrote:moving on to friday.. pretty interesting stuff

I just put TUMB to the test - I wiggled the entire Friday card and these two felt the best:

Race 1: Bandit Nailhead

Race 7: Baron Von Tap

How say HUTI and TUTI?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:27 pm

NorthStar wrote:
TJ wrote:

race 5:

you got host in the 7th.

Interloping I guess, but aren't claiming races where some of the best prices are found and the best handicapping skill is required?

Hi North, All interlopers gratefully acknowledged:>) A quality meet carries an array of racing conditions including claiming races. But this is Gulfstream and you would hope to see the racing secretary has enough good horses on the grounds that would call for him to write more allowance races and less claiming and starter races. This isn't so much about handicapping and gambling, it's just about seeing some quality horse races. TJ

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:10 am

Don't blame it all on the racing secretary. He has to work within the purse constraints negotiated with the horsemen. He's only allowed to spend 'x' dollars average per day on purses regardless of what caliber of horses are on the ground. If you want to see better horses you need to bet more to drive up the handle.

Daisy Jal Dastur
Allowance Winner

Postby Daisy Jal Dastur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:58 am

I'm hoping to get my filly into a MSW on the turf this coming Sunday.... got Coa on a second call..... sounds like 40 horses are gonna enter the race, according to his agent - sigh!

If she runs, I'll be there Sunday and Monday - are any of you going to be there??