Gulfstream

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:02 pm

Daisy Jal Dastur wrote:I'm hoping to get my filly into a MSW on the turf this coming Sunday.... got Coa on a second call..... sounds like 40 horses are gonna enter the race, according to his agent - sigh!

Hi Daisy - one good thing about Gulfstream is that they do split grass MSWs. If you don't get into a division on Sunday, Gulfstream cards a lot of them and you won't need many stars to get into a race.
What synthetics are to California racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcpPOU

Daisy Jal Dastur
Allowance Winner

Postby Daisy Jal Dastur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Hiya Roke - happy new year! Glad to hear that - I can use a little break from the Arctic conditions up here! LOL :lol:

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:07 pm

My only interest is in Race 4.

Informed Decision is one I tabbed from the two-year-old sales as one to watch out for.

Perhaps she will want more distance. Turf also a possibility. Will watch on Thursday with the future in mind...
Last edited by Ill-bred on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:07 am

bdw0617 wrote:
the 4th is an interesting race

I agree, the fourth is a very interesting race. For 3YO fillies, MD SP WT going 6F. I'm looking at a horse that is one of two things a running son of a gun, or a morning glory. Personally I see no reason for this trainer to hang this filly on the fence like this.......BUT (and IF the big words in race handicapping), IF the price is right she will be worth a wager. I see you put up the Hutch field, well two of the choices in that race worked the same day as this 2YO filly. She worked more than 2 seconds faster than Halo Najib (who went handily as she did) and Big Truck, who worked 5/8ths....this filly pulled up her 5/8ths faster than Big Truck worked his. She is either a super horse or the guy destroyed her in the AM, I'm going to have faith that the guy knows what he is doing and go with Tempest Storm:>) Billy Mott is training his horses at Payson, a slow training center (timewise) yet his horses are working in style.....looks like he will have another great meet. His go to boy is on board so if this other filly is a pretender and destroys the speed look for Mott to pick up the pieces with Vivacious Vivian. I am also concerned with a first time starter, Informed Decision, that Cordero and Johnny V decide to ride for a top trainer (Sheppard) who trained Storm Cat......these connection are a must use and Monarchos' (her sire) can win early.
In the South Beach, I like Billy Mott again...Quite A Bride, I think Wesley Ward will improve Mystic Soul today.......with Snow Cone, True and True and the bomb Silversider under in the exotics.

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

Daisy Jal Dastur
Allowance Winner

Postby Daisy Jal Dastur » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Rokeby Forever wrote:
Daisy Jal Dastur wrote:I'm hoping to get my filly into a MSW on the turf this coming Sunday.... got Coa on a second call..... sounds like 40 horses are gonna enter the race, according to his agent - sigh!

Hi Daisy - one good thing about Gulfstream is that they do split grass MSWs. If you don't get into a division on Sunday, Gulfstream cards a lot of them and you won't need many stars to get into a race.

You called it well, my friend! Just called GP - they're splitting the race b/c they couldn't fill some of the other races on Sunday....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Ill-bred wrote::D :D :D :D :D

Hi Ill,
Ya got a good eye. She was magnificent looking in the paddock, big strong and Blinker's on. I never see Sheppard with B's on first out so I doubled my exacta box and came back with extra using my horse, who also looked good in the paddock--but not nearly as good as your's. Motts horse didn't come out of the gate and finished 5th. Too bad you didn't take her home with you after that sale:>(....TJ

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 pm

Ill-bred wrote:My only interest is in Race 4.

Informed Decision is one I tabbed from the two-year-old sales as one to watch out for.

NICE PICKIN'!!!! :D

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm

I've actually climbed back to the BACK of the sales pages of the forum and Ill-bred has a hell of an eye for a horse. He said that he thought the 4.6 million dollar vindication was going to be a good one (Baffert's horse), and some other ones that are some very good allowence type horses...
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks guys!

TJ, nice call on that exacta. :D

I am new to the thoroughbred auction (three years), but I am trying to learn as fast as possible.

bdw, if it cost $4.6-million, it better be good, right? I did love Maimonides at Keeneland September, but with that mare and his looks, he was a no-brainer if Vindication is any kind of a sire.

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:20 pm

Roke-

Can we assume the Sheppard barn doesn't bet?

Among other things, I'm a board watcher. I take note of the inside money vs. public money. As much as I love the handicapping process, I am not above making "board" plays if I like the signs.

I hit one the other day at FairgGrounds -- a Patrick Mouton first-time starter in a La-bred stake. He opened at 4-to-1 and eventually drifted to 8-to-1. He outran the field...

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:25 pm

Ill-bred wrote:Roke-

Can we assume the Sheppard barn doesn't bet?

I've never met Jonathan Sheppard, but I think that's a safe assumption. He trained for Young and Strawbridge for years, and I don't think those two guys ever looked to cash a ticket.

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

bdw0617 wrote:you got host in the 7th.

Score one for OTTOMY!

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Here's a TUMB special for Wednesday, Jan 9:

Third race - Merlin Circle

I've told everyone that the Peter Walder/Johnny V combo is money in the bank. Walder's already won at the meet and this is the first time he's using Johnny V. How many maiden $25,000 claimers will you see Johnny V riding?

Lukas has Westwon running in the 2nd race for $12,500. He cost only $575,000 as a yearling - I guess that "great eye" of Lukas's had pinkeye when this colt was in the ring.

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:58 pm

4:5? Oh well...it worked!

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 08USA3.pdf

Westwon won too. LOL!