risen star

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

risen star

Postby imnumberjuan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:31 pm

just my 2 cents... I like Blackberry road in here
Gotta keep on Keepin on - Joe Dirt

JaradM
Allowance Winner

Postby JaradM » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Me too! If Calvin can give him a good trip he has a good shot.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:38 pm

Hi All:

That sure was a nice last to first move by Pyro!

I need to watch the replay, but it appeared he had all sorts of trouble. Once he was able to swing wide and get a free run, he just blew past them.

Shergar

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Shergar wrote:Hi All:

I need to watch the replay, but it appeared he had all sorts of trouble. Once he was able to swing wide and get a free run, he just blew past them.

Shergar

Hi Shergar,
It was an amazing race...he wasn't beating the cream of the cop, but he did it with a flare. Dead last at the head of the lane he had to steady slightly to await his chance to quickly angle outside. Once Pyro saw daylight, the lights were out...he flew through the lane with the stick in the riders right hand just tapping him on his shoulder. It certainly didn't look like he was driving at the wire, yet that was the official charts description.....I definitely know he wasn't whipping and driving:>) His time was nothing to wriite home about yet the way he did it was impressive, his last 1/16th was run pretty quick. By comparison, Grasshopper won his 1 1/16th in the 6th race in 1:43.2, Indian Blessing won her 1 1/16th in 1:43.3 in race 8 and Pyro went 1:44.3 in the 9th race.....slowest of the three yet the most visually impressive. This is gettin' good, can't wait for the Gulfstream preps:>) TJ

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby George William Smith » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Pyro's trouble was very small compared to the trip Borel subjected Blackberry Road to. Bounced off rail three times, no opening in the stretch to get through. Pyro ran well wide to finish with a flourish and raced wide throughout so he added plenty of extra distance. Time not a factor and could not be compared as slow early fractions :D

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:37 pm

George William Smith wrote:Pyro's trouble was very small compared to the trip Borel subjected Blackberry Road to. Bounced off rail three times, no opening in the stretch to get through. Pyro ran well wide to finish with a flourish and raced wide throughout so he added plenty of extra distance. Time not a factor and could not be compared as slow early fractions :D

Hi George,
Pyro had no real trouble during the running, just some anxious moments when time was running out and he was still dead last turning for home. He had to steady slightly to await the right time to swing outside without incident....then he let him roll over the top of 'em all.
Concerning Blackberry Road and his style of running....if you name Bo--rail to ride what else did you expect. Can't change the spots on a dalmation....he will wait forever for the rail to open. At least Shaun had sense enough to make that bold move and win the race.
I wouldn't say time is not a factor when compared to horses racing over the same distance and same track within less than 2 hours of each other. Just my opinion.....TJ

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:39 pm

TJ wrote:
Shergar wrote:Hi All:

Shergar

Hi Shergar,
It was an amazing race...he wasn't beating the cream of the cop, but he did it with a flare. Dead last at the head of the lane he had to steady slightly to await his chance to quickly angle outside. Once Pyro saw daylight, the lights were out...he flew through the lane with the stick in the riders right hand just tapping him on his shoulder. It certainly didn't look like he was driving at the wire, yet that was the official charts description.....I definitely know he wasn't whipping and driving:>) His time was nothing to wriite home about yet the way he did it was impressive, his last 1/16th was run pretty quick. By comparison, Grasshopper won his 1 1/16th in the 6th race in 1:43.2, Indian Blessing won her 1 1/16th in 1:43.3 in race 8 and Pyro went 1:44.3 in the 9th race.....slowest of the three yet the most visually impressive. This is gettin' good, can't wait for the Gulfstream preps:>) TJ

Hi All:

Yes, 1:44 and change isn't burning up the track.

I agree, I thought he won under wraps. I didn't see it as driving either.

Watched a replay on HRTV several minutes ago. Pyro was dead last and behind a wall off horses. It almost looked like Pyro turned on a dime and took a 45 degree angle to the outside, straightened out and that was all she wrote.

I think it took the track announcer a bit by surprise too. (Can't think of his name off hand)

All the best,
Shergar

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby George William Smith » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Yep, I hope Pyro keeps on going. Got him on my Road to the roses team.

On the otherhand, Blackberry Road is one of my breedings so I have a deep sentimental attachment. That said, this was his best race. Take another look at the replays and see that he got into trouble all over the place.

Calvin thought he was on Street Sense, lol

:lol:

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:59 pm

George William Smith wrote:Yep, I hope Pyro keeps on going. Got him on my Road to the roses team.

On the otherhand, Blackberry Road is one of my breedings so I have a deep sentimental attachment. That said, this was his best race. Take another look at the replays and see that he got into trouble all over the place.

Calvin thought he was on Street Sense, lol

:lol:

Hi George,
Truth is this is just the first of many exciting preps to come. I like to break things down by the numbers. The most significant portion of this race was the last 3/16ths, as we know the first part of the race was pedestrian fractions. I'm sure you watched Blackberry Road closely during the running, I did not so I can't offer a good opinion. What I can say is if BbR encountered his trouble during the last 5/16ths, I agree he can be a factor against these in his next start. If it was prior to that, the trouble would be much less significant. Pyro went his last 5/16ths in real race horse stye, 28.1...his final 1/8th in 5.1 seconds. Blackberry Road finished decently and if this was the portion of the race he encountered most of his trouble, his final 5/16ths is that much more impressive, his time as is Pyro's are approximate...but I get his last 5/16ths in 29.2, decent time with his last 1/8th not as impressive in 6.1 seconds. When you consider Grasshopper's final 5/16ths was 29.4 these younger Derby contenders look even better:>) TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:42 pm

I don't think Pyro was pushed in the Risen Star but I was please to see his agility and responsiveness (good for a Derby where it's bumper cars from start to finish) and I think he will only improve with time and distance.

Pyro is in my RTR team too, but I put some totally rank outsiders in there, so although currently standing 6700th with Pyro and Visonaire from today I expect a final finish for my stable somewhere around 20,000th.

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby George William Smith » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:22 pm

Geowarrior, I'm still laughing. We might have a real dogfight at the back of the pack.

TJ....Unbridled Vicar wiped him out once early in the race, then down the backstretch he was in tight the whole way and the stewards photos showed him bouncing off the rail or at least getting paint on Borel's boots.

The stretch run from the head on was the trip from hell. First he saved ground with Pyro around that last turn, spotted a hole a slipped through it, and Pyro got blocked, but swung out clear just barely slicing through a hole [so Pyro is not chicken], then out and clear and whoosh....Blackberry Road though hit the wall of leaders and had no where to run....was going out made a move that way then [from the stewards video] then the horse outside of him came over so he went to go back inside but that where the wandering Visionaire was and was blocked for the last time when Pyro came over a bit and Z Fortune moved over and then it was over. He was 5th, but I've seen every race of his and this is the first time that I thought he knew what he was supposed to do [not being green in attitude though he runs straight.]

Watch the stretch run from the blood-horse and you can see some of his trouble if you don't watch Pyro and just watch him.

Of course, I might be seeing things that I want to see, but he looked mature today. I think there is also a good chance he got cut up pretty bad in the melee. Pyro ran a biggie and a great ride on him.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:34 am

shgear hit the nail on the head.. go back and watch that race, the jockey literarly was petting him on the neck as he neared the finish line. he wasn't driving.

with that said, considering who he beat, he didn't do anything that I didn't think he was already capable of doing. B lackberry road is still eligiable for an entery level allowence for crying out loud. the time wasn't anything to marvel at although he was last, i am suspesious about a big field with no real seperation going into the stretch.

I don't dislike pyro honestly, but he didn't do anything I didn't think he could do already. I expected him to win and he did. he was much the best as should a grade 1 horse be against a field of grade 3 horses if that.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:53 am

bdw0617 wrote:I expected him to win and he did. he was much the best as should a grade 1 horse be against a field of grade 3 horses if that.

Okay, I'm honestly confused. Bdw, you've said a couple of times that Pyro is a "plodder". A grade 1 plodder? I don't get it.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:54 am

bdw

So, Pyro has gone from a plodder and taking over the thrown as the most overrated horse from The Roundhouse to being a Grade 1 horse who did just what you expected him to do by winning a Grade 3. I guess if he were to win a big prep or actually win the Derby, then you will honestly like him.

DDT

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:55 am

pfrsue wrote:
bdw0617 wrote:I expected him to win and he did. he was much the best as should a grade 1 horse be against a field of grade 3 horses if that.

Okay, I'm honestly confused. Bdw, you've said a couple of times that Pyro is a "plodder". A grade 1 plodder? I don't get it.

a grade 1 horse can be a plooder. gicaomo was a plodder, as was closing arguement
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

- Einstein