Prices Gallore in the Big Cap

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Prices Gallore in the Big Cap

Postby AscotStud » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Damn, everywhere I look there's a horse at a price, the Super on this race will be crazy. Hitting it will require a deep ticket. Even landing the winner won't be too badly rewarded.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:11 am

I am surprised at the weights. The highweights are carrying only 119 lbs. I guess there isn't a horse that deserves 132lbs, or a trainer that would run the horse with that impost.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 pm

It's still a very good and interesting field though. I guess I can say that cheerfully since I won't be betting.

Tiago I eventually expect great things from, but somehow I'm thinking not yet and not in this setting.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Heatseeker. And now since it's a while since I read the entries I'm hoping I don't have egg on my face and that Heatseeker is actually running in the race I'm thinking of.

What are your thoughts other than having to go deep, O experienced handicappers? I need to learn more about this handicapping business, otherwise I'll just keep picking the underdogs because I feel sorry for them or because I like their names, or, as in the case of Heatseeker because I feel guilty that I was glad Well Armed beat him last time since I'm hoping Tiznow will succeed as a sire.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:34 pm

Good pick, Geowarrior, and you made your pick well in advance, unlike other people that claim to have Heatseeker, after the race was run.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:47 pm

Thank you, Georgerz. He ran beautifully, I thought, and it was a very strong field. My old favorite Tiago was fourth. I still think good things are ahead for him. John Sherrifs could not be more patient.

Actually, although Heatseeker was impressive, I thought Champs Elysees might have been the best horse in the race as he really had to run, twist and turn to get the show. I also read that this was first run off the turf. If that's so, he's definitely one to watch for the future.