Who does the graded entries for the drf

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Roger
Grade I Winner

Who does the graded entries for the drf

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:09 pm

If you buy an early edition on line of the drf, an hour of so after the fields have been drawn, the drf list the grade entries, the odds change after the track puts out the morning line. I've found the early graded entries to be much more reliable than the tracks morning line. As early as the drf gets them out it would seem that they are computer generated. Do any of you know how they are generated?

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 pm

I've noticed a general decrease in the quality of morning lines. Although I can't say I've found the DRF odds to be all that accurate either.

Barn 31 T-breds
2yo Maiden

Postby Barn 31 T-breds » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:25 pm

There is a reason why ML's have gotten less accurate over the years. At one time, ML's were done by professionals who took pride in their work and would be embarrased to put out an inaccurate or unbalanced morning line. Not so today, because most ML's put out by racetracks are thrown together by somebody in the racing office or publicity office, and not a full time pro.

The vast majority of GM's today are only generally acquainted with ML's. They know what they are, but wouldn't have the first idea of how they are constructed or how to balance one. Most GM's also feel they are of little importance.

That's why ML's are getting progressively worse. Some are so poorly constructed and imbalanced as to be an embarrassment.

Whenever you see a track whose ML's always have the favorite from 2-1 to 3-1 - never 4-5, 6-5 or 3-2 - that's a telltale sign that not much thought is going into the line.

Also, if you know how to balance a ML, and the numbers EVER miss falling into viable range, that ML handicapper does not have pride in his work and his line can't be trusted.

It's a shame it has come to this, but shabby ML's are just another symptom of an ailing industry....