Apple blossom handicap?

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

bdw0617
Darley line

Apple blossom handicap?

Postby bdw0617 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Am I crazy for thinking Zenyetta is the class of the field?
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:00 pm

In a word, yes.

Class generally refers to the level of competition that a horse has been facing. As that goes, there is no way that Zenyatta has faced the same class as Ginger Punch.

However, if you are saying that you think that she is the best horse in the field, well, that's different. It's possible, as she's so lightly raced and has what seems to be a very high ceiling.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:09 pm

Ok, so now what would be the opinion? She won the race, so was BDW right to begin with, or is Umm Yeah right and she's moving up in class with a win over a horse I truly admire, Ginger Punch? Or does she have more to prove? She hasn't done anything yet, for example, to match Ginger Punch's incredible tussle with Hysterical Lady when she was being shoved into the rail in the BC distaff but still refused to give up.

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:00 am

To me, "class" refers to the level of horses that you have been facing. Therefore, the class of the field may not necessarily be the best horse in the field. Maybe others think of the term differently, but that's what I've always know it to me.

As for Zenyatta, she certainly proved that she belongs with Grade I fillies and mares and that she can be competitive with the best in the country. She's done nothing wrong in her short career, and I think she could be a huge factor in that division the rest of the year, provided she stays sound.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks Umm Yeah. I thought that's what you meant. So in this context Zenyatta would be starting to move up the class ranks.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:16 am

when I say class I mean the best horse in the field. if i were to say who has the best Class that means who has been racing at the highest level

when I say Zenyetta is the class of the field, I am saying I think she is the best horse in the field.

- Einstein

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:09 am

That's fine, BDW, but be aware that many use the term differently. It's like those folks that insist on calling progeny from the same stallion "half-siblings" when most of the industry has a different meaning for that term.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:17 am

neither is right or wrong.. we are nitpicking. figures of speach.

- Einstein