Anomaly or Strong Post Bias at Philidelphia Park

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:53 pm

claiminghorse

From the charts it appears that there was no bias, four of the five winners from the 5 post won on the front end and unless they stayed out in the middle of the track, which I doubt, any bias would be eliminated by moving to the rail. the non-winning horses from the 5 post were with the pace and tired, one led for a half and was eased, so I do not think there was a bias at play.

DDT

claiminghorse
Newborn

Postby claiminghorse » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:52 pm

DDT wrote:claiminghorse

From the charts it appears that there was no bias, four of the five winners from the 5 post won on the front end and unless they stayed out in the middle of the track, which I doubt, any bias would be eliminated by moving to the rail. the non-winning horses from the 5 post were with the pace and tired, one led for a half and was eased, so I do not think there was a bias at play.

DDT

Yes you are right. Those horses did stay on or within 1.5 to 2 lengths of the lead, yet they were all staying out off the rail. I watched all the races, and horses on the rail were wearing down. The other thing is that all the horses in the 5 and higher post on the lead were burning up the track to the first and second calls with 22 and 45 second fractions. The only inside post horses that set the pace and held it past the stretch was a race in which the fractions were 23: 47. So it does appear that there may have been a post bias or mid track bias, call it what you will. Horses on the rail were wearing down and mid post horses with mediocre credentials (as judged by the crowd) appeared to be taking advantage of it. I shouldnt say mediocre because a few of these were horses moving to new trainers or horses that had trouble in their past efforts that the crowd overlooked. Although the sample is too small to be statistically valid, 5 for 10 from the 5 post, is pretty good and I wouldnt discount them for the week at least. Maybee I will check into it more tommorrow. Thanks for reading my post.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:32 am

claiminghorse

Yes, I watched them also, and PhilPark does have a strong mid-track bias, the rail is not where you want to be most of the time. It is not as bad as Suffolk, where they fan 5-6 wide at the top of the lane, but the majority of winners at PhilPark are at least 3 off the rail. It appears that even though you lose some ground, the going is better and takes less out of the horse.

DDT