Santa Anita Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

going4stamina
Allowance Winner

Postby going4stamina » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:24 pm

I like Setsuko...there could be enough pace to set it up for him, he might be later maturing, like his sire. Nice female family, should have the pedigree to get the classic job done.

Eskendereya, I like too..but how many have come from a big race in the Wood and flopped Derby day? He's got the Wood and Pletcher to overcome, he better be greased lightning to overcome that.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 pm

first of all that 109 is not a real 109. beyer is caught in a position where he is trying to put a number on a visual impression, not equate a speed figure with a raw final time. never in my life have i ever seen a horse run damn near 1:50 going 9F and get damn near a 110 b eyer speed fibgure.

he's trying to put a number on, what we physically saw with our own eyes. that is not a 109. closer to a 100-102.

moreso than that, the compitition level is about to get jacked up big time. jackson bend is a miler and i don't even think a grade 1 level one at that. awesome act lost a shoe while his jockey was doing auditioning for the new billy mays vice grip commerical.. no.

he might win. he's uber talented.

it doesn't take me long to see who has talent. that horse is good. But the best horse rarley actually wins the derby, and he is oing to be asked to do a lot he has not done yet.

that and he hasn't beaten jack. he is the same hore that did not hit hte board in the BC juvenile on a surface he was bred up and down to love. he has raced 3 times since then, and the best horse he has beaten is thank you Phillipe and now he's supposed to be 2 - 1 in the derby. okay. sure

he did beat ice box, but than again, who the hell did ice box beat lol?

the best horse in florida outside eskandera isn't even running in stakes yet (actually two of them, trappe shot and tiz the one). That would have been a florida derby.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

going4stamina
Allowance Winner

Postby going4stamina » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:51 am

I didn't know Awesome Act lost a shoe--he was looking like he should be swinging around the outside and over-taking them all..then the stranglehold and a subsequent giving up the bit. Think he is better than the race (and the jock) and Eskenderya looked better than he was, like you said.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:41 am

i'm all over awesome act in the derby like louis on phalaris
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

- Einstein

going4stamina
Allowance Winner

Postby going4stamina » Sun May 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Awesome Act looked horrible in the post parade...like something was wrong with him. Just didn't look fit. Raced like he looked.