Let the Games Begin!

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:52 am

Whirlaway

This week the race is the Westchester from Belmont. Haynesfield returns after being off since November. He loves Belmont and has been working really well, should be the favorite and even money would be good but I don't think you can get that. Christmas For Liam has been really good this year, and is coming into this race ready to roll. I would love to bet Haynesfield but I am going with Christmas For Liam. I will wager $100.00 to win on #6 Christmas For Liam, in the event he is a scratch I will wager $100.00 to win on #5 Haynesfield.

One week to go. Good luck.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:54 am

DDT,

Fun race to handicap.

Haynesfield is the class of the race and shows outstanding works - goes from the tr.t track to the main track and that Giant Killer 7fl work at racing speed means business. This one should be tough and likes coming off a layoff.

Christmas for Liam looks tough too - nice work in the mud and gets a ridiculous four pound weight break . . . how do they figure that, what a joke! Doubtful this Pletcher horse goes off a 4/1 - likely will be favorite at post time.

Gambolati has done a fine job with Soaring Empire and shows a fine set of works. Doesn't seem to care for a 70 second six furlongs and his speed may be compromised at Belmont Park.

Haynesfield is stepping down off a layoff, Christmas for Liam is stepping up off a scintillating win . . . I'll take the class.

I still believe there is a chance for me to win this thing, albeit rather remote, kinda like Bast being a trainer. I'm goin' for points here. If the two favorites hook up and Convo wins that gives me 5 and if Haynesfield comes in second that gives me 4 for a total of 9. I need you to lose the next couple, I need to win and beat Dialed In in the Derby and I can win the points. The bank, you made a relatively conservative bet today, not like you to play it safe . . . but longshot numbers in the Derby are likely - I could conceivably win the bank. In every and any way possible, I'm still gonna try to win this thing and you can best be sure I intend on fightin' till the fat lady sings.

$ 18.60 W Haynesfield
$ 2 W Convocation - longshot bet must win at 5/1 or greater
$ 20 W Christmas For Liam - scratch

May the best horse win and best of racing luck!

LET THE GAMES CONTINUE !! !!
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas
~
It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 am

Whirlaway

Is it too late to make a change in today's wager?????

DDT

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:51 am

Whirlaway

Your wager on Haynesfi8eld should be rounded off to $18.00, you cannot bet $.60 to win.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:27 am

DDT,

The betting time cut-off is noon eastern standard time the day of the race - can't change anything after that.

~

With respect to the sixty-cents, they bet dimes and fifty-cent pieces at the races, why can't they take sixty-cents? If they don't take coinage at the windows while betting to win, then a round off is in order.

LET THE GAMES CONTINUE!!
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas

~

It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:34 am

Whirlaway

I believe the $.10 and $.50 wagers are restricted to Superfectas and pick 4's,5's and some pick 6's. I think the minimum you can wager to win, place or show is $2.00, maybe $1.00 at some tracks. I really don't care, if you win the bet we can figure out just how much you win.

DDT

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 am

Whirlaway

I wagered 20% of my bank, you think that is playing it safe? And what is with the Bast comment? Bast has said nothing that would lead one to think that she is not or has never been a trainer.

If you pick the winner and the second place horse that is only 8 points, not 9, 5 points for a win and 3 points for a place.

Lastly, if you had not taken all day to answer me I would have been able to make the change, but you have many things on your agenda, too bad playing a fair game is not one of them. Not to worry though, it will all be over next week.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 am

DDT,

Indeed and no doubt, I've got to win the bet first and then we can figure out the breakage. The reason why I bet the sixty-cents was I wanted an even hundred come the Derby.

~

You didn't really think I was just gonna fold up and go away without a fight, did ya'? You didn't really think I was just gonna throw in the towel and go away without trying to figure out some way to win this thing, did ya? Such actions would be deleterious to the Spirit of these Games and grounds for disqualification! I ain't giving up - not now, not ever. I can still win this thing at both ends with some racing luck. If I don't get the luck today, maybe come the big dance . . . any way it goes, if I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down fightin'.

I need those points!

With this race behind us, I'll be handicappin' the Derby like no other race. No doubt it will be a tough one, but not as wide open as some may think.

LET THE GAMES CONTINUE !! !!

~

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:20 am

DDT,

Take a look at the time you made your post. You made your post at 12:30 well beyond the cut-off time and you knew it! I think maybe you forgot about the long shot bet option and after you saw my strategy, you wanted to change your bet, but it was too late. If one accepts your skewed, twisted self-serving logic, you wanting to turn back time to change your bet makes me the bad guy! Considering some of the other bets you have made in this contest, this bet does seem to be a bit timid, don't you think? And with regards to bast being a trainer, wrong. I read in one of her gum flappin' posts that she said she actually trained some horses. Judging from her posts w/regard to training and weights, she was obviously not being truthful.

You are correct, eight points it is.

No doubt it will soon be over. No doubt you'll likely win this thing, but I wouldn't be lickin' my chops just yet . . .

LET THE GAMES CONTINUE !!

~

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Whirlaway

You know, I have had it up to my head with your attempts to argue about just anything, however, the biggest difference between you and me is that if I were to win the contest I would not be licking my chops over it, it is a handicapping challenge between the two of us, not world war three, and of course beating you like a red headed step child would really be a feather in my cap, now wouldn't it.

Your opinion of how Bast looks at weight assignment and performance does not mean that she is not a trainer. As a matter of fact, she can train her horses any way she wants, right or wrong. Are you not the champion of all the posters who get bullied?

What you are is a simple minded know it all who cannot stand to be wrong on or about anything. You have had some bad luck with your picks, and any luck at all you would have at least double your winners. You keep saying that you love this game, when actually all you really want to do is stir up some s--t.

I did not forget about the long shot bet, I said I would not use it, do you remember what you said?

I was going to increase the amount of my wager. Who you select and how much you bet is up to you, I have never made a wager in this contest based on your play. You just like the control, I am beginning to feel like a dog.

DDT

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Whirlaway

Today you wagered $20.60, returned nothing and a refund of $2.00 because your long shot was not 5-1, your bank is now $102.00. You have made 34 wagers with 4 wins (20 pts.) 7 place (21 pts) 8 show ( 8 pts) for a total of 49 pts.

Today I wagered $100.00, returned nothing, my bank is now $405.40. I have made 33 wagers with 9 wins (45 pts) 4 place (12 pts) 5 show (5 pts) for a total of 62 points.

Good luck with the final, the Kentucky Derby.

DDT
Last edited by DDT on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Whirlaway

Your long shot was not 5-1, you get a $2.00 refund, so your bank is now $102.00. I have edited my post to reflect the correct numbers.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:02 pm

DDT,

A good, fine hearty congratulations on your victory in the points - a well played Game.

I had my chances to win it and I don't have one single excuse. In retrospect, with a little bit of racing luck and a few inches in the Florida Derby, this thing could have gone the other way. I can only think that it just wasn't meant to be - it just wasn't my turn and I accept it. Part of winning is losing and I got beat fair and square. NO doubt, they'll be another just like you and maybe I'll fare better next time out.

Looking forward to the big dance!

LET THE GAMES CONTINUE UNTIL THEY CAN BE PLAYED NO MORE!! !!

~

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 pm

DDT,

I think I've followed this Derby Trail closer and more intently than one should and I believe I forgotten what Aristotle wrote many centuries ago . . . all things in moderation. I like Midnight Interlude to win the Derby for the following reasons:

Weight: He has carried over 120 in all of his races. The 122lbs in the Santa Anita Derby didn’t hinder his running ability.

Average Pace: MI runs nine furlongs at abut 54.84 feet per second. Considering the most recently run race and tossing synthetic runners, MI is second only to Comma to the Top. What makes the fps so compelling is how it relates to Table 2 found here, I call it TJs Post http://www.eccnet.com/fourwinds/horse/weighthorse2.html - in a nutshell, MI has the highest level of oxygen consumption, bpressey called it "the highest cruising speed."

3Fr: The third fraction is from six furlongs to the finish. Considering the most recently run race and tossing synthetic runners, MI covers the distance in 53.76 fps, second to Toby's Corner - TC isn't running.

TE: Total Energy is the sum of early pace and 3Fr. Once again, considering the most recently run race and tossing synthetic runners, MI ranks number one.

There are additional reasons, suffice to say, MI ranks at the top in the most important categories. He does have an Achilles. From what I’ve read, no Thoroughbred in 100 years has won the Derby without racing at two - now that’s a long time and a tough statistic to buck. I think if the statistic can be broken, this horse against this field will break it. What concerns me the most is his emotional maturity – does he have it or will he melt from the pressure? I figure it could go either way - guess we'll see come this Saturday.

Finally and most important, was the Santa Anita Derby. MI ran five to six wide into the first turn, four to six wide down the backstretch and four to seven wide out of the final turn . . . he was put to the whip 500 yards out, ran the leader down inside the eighth, was forced to go wide again, regrouped, showed a turn of foot deep in the stretch and ran the leader down. Nothing short of extraordinary! This horse is a runner and I don’t think there was a better Derby prep. If he doesn't get hysterical pre race and runs back to the SAD, I figure he is as good as any of em'. He has sharp works, a six in 73 and four in 48.1 in the slop - damn it if the Baffert doesn't have him ready!

That’s all I’ve got . . . I kinda feel like Forrest Gump running across the country for the third time and all of the sudden Gump stopped and said, “ I’m kinda tired. Think I’ll go home now.”

~

All in to Win on Midnight Interlude
All in to Win on Uncle Mo - Scratch
All in to Win on Soldat – if the track is anything other than fast.
All in to Win on Midnight Interlude – Scratch pick if the track is anything other than fast.
Trifecta / Super combos: MI/DI/UM/AAA/TTA

This contest proved to be great fun . . . and best of racing luck!

LET THE SPIRIT OF THE GAMES CONTINUE !! !!

~

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue May 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Whirlaway

Well, you might want to wait on post positions before you leap in, but if you are convinced that Baffert's horse is going to win, fine. I know you have a real bet on Soldat, and I was kind of rooting for him just for you. I love Dialed In, he has not missed a beat, racing or training, and I think Zito has him right where he wants him. I would feel much better about him if Calvin was aboard but he is well mounted with the Frenchman, so I am pretty sure he will be my main wager. I think Uncle Mo will run much better than he did in the Wood, but he will not be alone on the lead and if he is he will have to work for it which could come back to haunt him. I like ArchArchArch, nice prep and looks ready to roll. Here is my preliminary bet.

$200.00 to win on Dialed In
$200.00 to win on ArchArchArch if Dialed In is scratched.

$50.00 win on Uncle Mo
$50.00 win on Soldat
$50.00 win on Nehro
$50.00 win on ArchArchArch

Good luck with the final race.

DDT