Handicapper Quits Day Job

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Handicapper Quits Day Job

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:19 am

Here's a good read, a good old Bronx boy wins the 2010 DRF/NTR handicapper of the year after quiting his day job to become a professional gambler. TJ

http://drf.com/news/quitting-his-day-jo ... -doyle-nhc

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 am

He said he made about 8% on his handicapping investments last year. I'm not sure what that means since we don't know what his investment was. Lastly, $500K is a nice chunk of change, but I don't think I'd be putting back into gambling.

Doyle is probably the exception, not the rule.

I must admit though, if he can make it as handicapper, it seems like a wonderful livestyle.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 am

Shammy Davis wrote:He said he made about 8% on his handicapping investments last year. I'm not sure what that means since we don't know what his investment was. Lastly, $500K is a nice chunk of change, but I don't think I'd be putting back into gambling.

Doyle is probably the exception, not the rule.

I must admit though, if he can make it as handicapper, it seems like a wonderful livestyle.

Hi Shammy,
To be a professional handicapper it isn't that easy. If you ever really put the time into it, it can burn you out in a hurry....and I'm not talking about your bankroll, it's mentally challenging. It's tough work handicapping 3 or more racing cards a day looking for that horse that slips through the cracks for other players. Many that would prepare in advance would be up late burning the midnight oil looking for that days pay check. It takes a lot of confidence, proper money management and mental discipline to consistently come out on top. Entering these big contests and then going on to win top prize sets him up nicely for a bit of breathing room....but for continued success you have to keep pounding the racing form every day and have some insider's around you as well as fellow handicapper's whose opinion you respect. Tough way to earn a living.....but I wish him all the best, it took guts to make the decision he did and then make it happen. TJ

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Well put, TJ: a tough way to make a living. Quite frankly, having to work that hard and maintain the level of discipline required to stay on top would take the fun out of it for most people. It then truly becomes a job, like any other.
Making a living as a TB handicapper requires different skils than winning a tournament like this guy did, IMO. More luck involved in winning a tourney, I'd say, whereas the long haul (making a living) requires all of those traits you've mentioned.

just my opinion

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:08 am

My hat is off to him. I don't know how you can make a living betting horses.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:21 pm

The hours are shitty, you don't know when you are going to get paid, you dont' know how much you are going to get paid, as stated it somewhat sucks the fun out of it all. You really have to like horse racing to want to spend the time it takes to make a living at it. It's not a 9-5 job, what happens if on a Friday night a few horses you have been keeping an eye on are going to run at delta downs. well you are going to stay up to 11pm EST playing delta downs, still handicap the next day's card and be ready to do it all again 11 hours later.

If you are like me, and you follow the Louisiana circuit closely, well you "work" on Mondays, which means that, you are going to work 6 days a week. Me missing a day, is me missing money. I cant' let that happen, in a world where you don't know when your next big hit is going to be, that's an unacceptable mentality to have. Not even mentioning, that you have to be good at it. That's a forgone conclusion. There is a mental toughness, that is not needed in everyday line of work.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

making a living at wagering on horses

Postby stancaris » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Not only do you have to be a good handicapper but you also must be good enough to overcome the 15- 17% take out on win, place and show bets at most tracks. So a punter must look for overlays and overlays are hard to come by. The final odds on most horses do not offer a bargain., It is only once in a while that a real bargain occurs and they only win a certain amount of the time.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 am

I really don't have sense of what it would take to become a professional handicapper. The idea of gambling to meet one's everyday finances seems somewhat irresponsible to me. When you watch the horseracing channels or the sports shows that use handicappers as commentators, you see that based on their "daily picks" they couldn't have possibly made it as professional handicappers without a "day TV" job.

It does make for interesting entertainment though.